Three Months Off For New Fathers -

fizzbomb

it's a bit much isn't it...? From what i have seen, most brand new fathers have about two days off work when their little nippers are born, and on returning to work, seem particularly keen to stay at their work stations waaaay beyond the usual office hours and suddenly seem to take up all kinds of extra curriculae hobbies...

It does seem a bit much to me, I love both my kids unconditionally but did found myself feeling a bit useless in their first six months ish of life. I was quite happy to change nappy’s ect but my bond with them sort of matured with age.

Not meaning to be sexist but babies seem to be the mothers “toy” until they begin to show their own personality and start to do things for themselves I felt slightly out in the cold.

Not sure if this feeling is how most men feel but that’s the way it was for me.

:D

it's a bit much isn't it...? From what i have seen, most brand new fathers have about two days off work when their little nippers are born, and on returning to work, seem particularly keen to stay at their work stations waaaay beyond the usual office hours and suddenly seem to take up all kinds of extra curriculae hobbies...

Those that WISH to be off at that time SHOULD at least have the option. I think that is the issue.

Whether or not you choose to make use of the paternity leave is therefore a choice for the father.

I am in favour of this change in the law and believe in the equal rights of the father (especially when he wants to have equal rights - not enough father do!)....LOL

My hubby saved up his annual holidays and took 4 weeks off just after the birth of both our children (that did include the work paternity leave days too). It was nice as he got to bond with babies as well.

If the cirucumstances were that the woman earns more than the father, it would make sense for the father to be able to stay at home and look after the baby, so the mother can work to keep the money coming in.

If the father is now entitled to get paternal leave, it makes it easier for this to happen.

I think the first couple of weeks after a birth are pretty stressful for parents, and possibly would be a good idea for both of them to be at home, not only to look after the new arrival but to look after each other!

I also think it's very sexist to have terms such as 'maternity' and 'paternity' leave. It should be 'parental' leave - applied to both for the first week or two, and either one of them for six weeks after.

What happens if you have fathered several children similtaneously?

Perhaps you were feeling particularly fertile, went on a wild binge one weekend and had unprotected sex with numerous women - each of which fell pregnant.

Would you be entitled to accumulate the leave and take a couple of years off?

I'm guessing breastfeeding might be a bit of a problem. I know hardly anybody seems to do this anymore but I've got a bit of beef at the moment because my sister is still breastfeeding at 7 and a half months and her latest health visitor was not happy with the baby still being in bed with her, for this purpose. She is thinking about complaining. Millions of people are brought up this way all over the world, although it seems our culture is not so keen.

Anyway, beef aside, I was in Denmark in 1999 and one of the strongest cultural differences (compared to here) which I noticed was that you saw as many men pushing prams around as you did women. At the time they already had paternity leave in Denmark and it was very apparent.

What happens if you have fathered several children similtaneously?

Perhaps you were feeling particularly fertile, went on a wild binge one weekend and had unprotected sex with numerous women - each of which fell pregnant.

I think you have to take a least a couple of years off - off the island to avoid being caught in a crossfire of shotguns!

The sort of person that does this (and yes, they do exist) usually take the rest of their life off work at the expense of the taxpayer, but that's a matter for another thread!

When will all the PC madness end, nothing wrong with time off but someone has to be the bread winner surely that is as important as taking time off to wipe the baby's botty.

what if the woman is the "bread winner". therefore it is the father who NEEDS the time off.

Archived