Sunshine Corner

steven !

What about Sunshine Corner and Beach Club.

It was all over the Island you know, not just Ballafesson and Port Erin.

"Never have a face like a coffee pot etc..., " "This Little Light of Mine . . ."

What do you remember about the pubs . . . to me it was all Spewing an' hangovers. Give me Sunshine Corner anyday.

If I am thinking of the same thing I remember the Beach Club. There was one in Port St Mary and we always used to go down there during the summer holidays.

"Jesus wants me for a sunbeam . . la la la la"

"Jesus wants me for a sunbeam . . la la la la"

Hah, the very song, I can hear it now.

Sunshine Corner was a long time ago in the late sixties/early seventies, it was in Ballafeson hall in winter and in the summer it was Beach Club, I remembered then on Port Erin beach.

But I recently found out that it was in Douglas too. And there were other people on this Island who had similar experiences of it. All good btw. It was all like being in Church but without the sermon and boredom and with good songs instead of Hymns and there was orange juice too.

You'll know me at a party. After my 1/2 dozen, in the kitchen usually, singing "Jesus wants me for a sunbeam".

Try it. (!)

I remember seeing on the beach at pt st m, but never was involved with it. We did have that hymn at primary school though and we always got told off because everyone would jump a bit when the word 'sunbeam' was sung. It was funny/naughty at the time.

Not all hymns are that bad though. They played Jerusalem at my mate's wedding on Saturday and that's a kick ass song!

Used to sing to "The Earth is yours oh lord" and we'd all say "and you norisSHIT it with rain" remeber they sent the whole year out of assembly for that one.

I agree, but when I was growing up could never understand why a hymn about england's green & pleasant land was named after an arrid town in Israel

Yes I've often thought that too, I just dig the tune though.

Used to sing to "The Earth is yours oh lord" and we'd all say "and you norisSHIT it with rain" remeber they sent the whole year out of assembly for that one.

Ha ha! Sounds like classic school stuff, like the old outbreaks of coughing that used to happen in assemblies too. :D

Archived