Wilma!

slinkydevil

It seems, people don't really learn from disasters - two reports from USA today:

First - Wilma is about to strike:

Forecasters predicted it would swing northeast around Cuba and charge Sunday at hurricane-weary Florida. Gov. Jeb Bush declared a state of emergency, after the state got caught in the westerlies, the strong wind current that generally blows toward the east.

Briefly the most intense Atlantic hurricane on record, Wilma was a potentially catastrophic Category 5 storm before weakening. Its 150 mph winds made it more powerful than Hurricane Katrina when it plowed into the Gulf coast of the United States on Aug. 29, killing more than 1,200 people.

And right next to it this report:

Despite storms, coasts grow

Coastal counties from Texas to New England are growing by about 1,300 people every day despite a decade-long surge of hurricanes that has peaked this year with the most in one season since 1969.

The number of residents in 169 counties along the Atlantic and Gulf coasts has grown by more than 2 million since 2000 to 44.3 million, according to a USA TODAY analysis.

About 1.6 million of these new residents live in the stretch from Virginia to Texas that is most vulnerable to hurricanes and is home to 25.4 million. About 1,000 people arrive in these areas every day. The growth rate in that strip is almost twice the national rate.

Why you would want to move into an area that gets battered by storms on a regular basis baffles me - "Won't happen to me" ignorance or something?

And not only that, port towns have the most industry (i.e., jobs) that it is difficult not to want to live in those parts of the USA/

Not to mention if you have lived in such a place for decades and you did not want to move from home, AND of course, "won't happen to me" mentality.

Oh well.

Archived