David Cameron

Chinahand

Don't know if anyone is particularly interested in this ... but I feel that all the hype about David Cameron is mainly because he is unknown ... a total blank canvas.

As a result people from very different political backgrounds are assuming he has views similar to them and so are supporting him.

Does anyone really have any idea of his policies or ideas ... at the moment he's just putting out fuzzy spin and not much else. [He seems a bit of a Rah to me ... From Eton, nice but dim.]

I feel that if he does win there will be a short honeymoon period and improved Tory poll numbers and then when the hard politic-ing starts he'll have to clarify his views and there will be a lot of disapointment and disallusionment.

Cameron vrs Brown in 3 years time ... assuming the UK economy doesn't slump ... will it be anything other than a replay of the past 3 elections?

Cameron vrs Brown in 3 years time ... assuming the UK economy doesn't slump ... will it be anything other than a replay of the past 3 elections?

Chances seem to be that a slump is already on its way, most commentators seem to be a little more cautious about the future.

But, having said that, I'm not particularly convinced that Davis is a mere novelty as you suggest.

True, his policy statements have been a bit fuzzy, but that shouldn't come as a surprise should it? In a party as divided as the Conservatives it's only natural that a leadership candidate's stance should initially be vague enough to appeal sufficiently to all. The Conservatives at this point would be better off with less controversy amongst its ranks, and the best way to achieve this is by denying the schisms that exist to manifest.

Intellectual qualities for a leader are largely irrelevent as long as he or she has good advisers, Tony Blair for instance may have had vision and (with help) correctly identified and exploited the 'centre ground' of British politics, but he's by no stretch of the imagination a political intellectual or a thinker. A good judge of timing and situation, combined with a certain talent for opportunism certainly, but I don't think anyone would say he's in even a veguely similar mould to the likes of Rousseau or Locke.

As it stands, whoever is elected is going to have to content with a fractious party, and their policy will be constrained to a certain extent by that, not to mention the promises they have to make to appease the now infamously election losing views of the Conservatives' membership. In such circumstances, perhaps it would be better to have someone with a little bit of charm who can slowly initiate Party reform whilst maintaining a stance that sooths the disruptive tempers of all concerned.

Yeah, it's one of the many regular xxxx-poor features of Private Eye, the rag of choice for arrested development cases who can't tell the difference between genuine satire and adolescent sneering, isn't it?

You're thinking of Manxman.com.

That's true, there's not much separating them! Although Manxman.com at least has the virtue of having its hi-larious 'Black pages' closed down. Proof if proof be need be that The Man isn't all bad.

I've never been a Conservative supporter but I take no pleasure in seeing the decline of the party - to the point where such nonentities as Cameron, Davis and Fox are taken seriously as potential leaders - because it does democracy no service to have such weak and ineffectual opposition to the government of the day.

In all honesty, I can't see any of them being a strong enough personality to capture the imagination of many voters and, if they fail to make progress, there's a real possibility that they'll be overtaken by the equally ineffectual Lib-Dems. Be honest - how many people could have successfully identified the candidates from their photographs before this leadership contest began?

Yeah, it's one of the many regular xxxx-poor features of Private Eye, the rag of choice for arrested development cases who can't tell the difference between genuine satire and adolescent sneering, isn't it?

No, Pseuds Corner is not like that at all. They simply post up verbatim quotes without comment and let the reader make up their own mind. There are some classics in this weeks issue especially Ricky Ponting's "vixen". Hilarious.

http://www.private-eye.co.uk/content/showi.../section.pseuds

Latest mag: http://www.private-eye.co.uk/index.cfm

Back on thread

http://www.cameroncampaign.org/

I have only given it a cursory glance but it seems a bit light on detail. I would have to agree with Lonan3 that our version of democracy needs an effective Opposition to put in the right checks and balances. Unfortunately an effective opposition has been sadly lacking of late. I also disagree that whoever it is will end up facing Brown. In my opinion that is by no means as certain as some are saying. Brown tends to shun the limelight and doesn't revel in the cut and thrust.

Edited to add another url.

Don't know if anyone is particularly interested in this ... but I feel that all the hype about David Cameron is mainly because he is unknown ... a total blank canvas.

That's probably the best description of the man I've seen yet! But that's what most are to begin with, surely? They have to be all things to all people to get the support from the most people and it looks like that's exactly what he's managing to do. If you don't give an opinion, you won't upset anyone. He's also very inexperienced so will keep quiet about things until he's told exactly what to say.

Brown in three years? I do hope not but noo labour will have the same problem then as the Tories do now. Who to put up as leader to match Blair. Brown is too secretive and charmless. Plus, he doesn't appear to wash his hair regularly enough for me!

I think the Tories have made a big mistake not going for Ken Clarke, he i think would have been the best bet as regards the Tories getting back into power, with one of the guys currantly in the frame, taking over at some point.

The problem for the Tories is that they just don't seem to have any strong personalities, that really stand out.

As for policies iv'e never known them to be so woolly.

I feel Labour was quite concerned regarding Clarke, a match for both Blair and Brown.

Archived