The Old Court House

thebees

courthouse.jpg

Old Court House

Douglas

Isle of Man

The Old Court House is a registered building in the commercial centre of Douglas.

The development envisages the retention of the two principal facades behind which a new steel framed building will be constructed.

The new building is to be served by 2 separate glazed entrances providing access to five principal floors of office accommodation.

Car parking is provided at both the lowest level and within a new car park being constructed on an immediately adjacent site.

Parking 39 / 24 in adjacent car park

NIA 27,500 sqft

Design Team

Architect dandara

CS Engineer dandara

ME Engineer ES Consulting

Contractor dandara

Quantity Surveyor dandara

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks a bit different at the moment - not quite so glossy-marketing-picture like:

post-1086-1130083590_thumb.jpg post-1086-1130083604_thumb.jpg

And I wonder why they want to build more offices - there are plenty around with "To Let" signs outside, like the one just opposite the Courthouse:

post-1086-1130083699_thumb.jpg

Or Victory House - it's been empty so long, the signs have been bleached by the sun:

post-1086-1130083761_thumb.jpg

Restore the Courthouse and make a really cool Nightclub out of it - would be the perfect winner!

What is going on there? Why is it being left to rot?

It's an old building trick where if you're not allowed to demolish it, you leave it to rot to a stage where it's classed as dangerous and you're told to demolish it on safety grounds.

As the cost off keeping the Frontage, which I think should be made to happen more often, is alot greater than building on an open plot, you can see why it's rotting. Going by Dandara's past records, I think this might be the case.

The QB has just been sold to the DOT for $85K, the Foresters got closed down this week and is now up for sale the price is un disclosed, but I would bet that Dan the Man now owns it

£85k? take it you missed a 0 there

In Jersey there is a law or by-law whereby any wilful neglect of property can result in the Govt compulsorily purchasing the property. Hence there are no run-down buildings and all properties are either in use or being redeveloped. The fact that there are commercial and residential properties being left to rot here speaks volumes for the island.

You only have to have a look at Circular Rd in Douglas, Hope Street, Westmoreland Rd and many more examples to see so called modern architecture!

I agree. But the kind of stuff that I think you're talking about: well - I just don't see it as modern architecture. More like a really bad imitation of contemporary architecture. The AXA building at the back of the old Peveril block in Douglas is a particularly good (bad) example IMO. It looks like some sort of CSE project on post modernism. Just as silly as the fake chimneys on Dandara homes (fake chimneys and glass fibre pointy bits are a pet hate of mine).

I don't want to sound like a "when I" but: if you walk around Paris, for example, well .... you'll find fantastic modern and clever glass and metal fronted buildings side - by - side with late 18th and 19th century buildings. And yet all fitting in with each other quite seemlessly.

So nothing wrong with modern per se. Fake Victorian would be just as awful.

PS - and there is a building in Circular Rd (left hand side after Barclays, direction Peel Rd) which is an even worse example. A tower block would have been less silly.

... and then the old Peppermint Palace building on Victoria Street is gone now too and that was a listed building - I think Dandara have that too? (Correct me if I'm wrong)

Its rather annoying. I can think of many buildings that are in a bad state of repair and I see others being left to rot, the Automobile Club on Hill Street £230K for a double fronted pub with a S.C. flat above?? Bargain if you ask me, and what is the owner doing with it? NOTHING, it saddens me. What can you do though?

• 1 year later...

Dandara have sent in Men in White Suits.....

....who have started working at the Old Court House - taking in a significant quantity of concrete blocks.

It must be very contaminated in that building if tehy have still have to wear protective suits - wouldn't it be usual to de-contaminate an area first before you are allowed to start building work?

Archived