The Old Court House

thebees

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dandara have sent in Men in White Suits.....

....who have started working at the Old Court House - taking in a significant quantity of concrete blocks.

It must be very contaminated in that building if tehy have still have to wear protective suits - wouldn't it be usual to de-contaminate an area first before you are allowed to start building work?

I am glad to see that they are taking the health and safety of their workforce seriously. Its probably to protect them from the pigeon guano whilst they clean the place out.

Either way I am very glad to see something happening at this place.

Yes I think you're right. I remember watching on the Curiosities of the Isle of Man dvd (excellent programs btw) that they had to wear masks etc because of all the pigeon poo, or possibly just diseases that they carry.

Seconded on the Curiosities, excellent viewing.

They are keeping the facade; is that right?

At least something is happening with it. Anyone remember when Douglas Police Station was behind the Court House, where the bit of wasteland is (or was) now?

Thoroughly enjoyed both of those videos!

I think they must be keeping the facade judging from the scaffold in the photos that seems to be up across the front of the building. I hope so anyway....

Not sure sorry Gladys as I didn't see what they had down there, but whilst it's good that the courthouse is going to be changed from an avian toilet it'd be a real shame if nothing was left of the original building.

Many people don't give a hoot about things like this but I think it's important that they at least remain in part.

At least something is happening with it. Anyone remember when Douglas Police Station was behind the Court House, where the bit of wasteland is (or was) now?

I remember as a young tearaway, being hauled into the old police station one night.

The sargeant was sitting in front of a roaring coal fire in his shirtsleeves & braces drinking tea from a huge mug.

After a brief exchange of words he playfully punched me in the side of the head. Then, mildly concussed I was sent on my way.

Ahh, such gentle times....

I think they must be keeping the facade judging from the scaffold in the photos that seems to be up across the front of the building. I hope so anyway....

They have to - it's listed. The facade alone is a pretty impressive structure + it goes around the corner a bit, so I guess it's pretty stable on its own and will be reinforced once the rubble behind it has been cleared - looks odd, though..

post-1086-1179046053_thumb.jpg

It's already pretty flat after one day

post-1086-1179046109_thumb.jpg post-1086-1179046136_thumb.jpg

post-1086-1179046485_thumb.jpg post-1086-1179046158_thumb.jpg

Health and Safety is going overboard again, though - even the lucky charms have to wear hard hats :)

post-1086-1179046535_thumb.jpg

I was at the old Courthouse on Friday Morning while JCK where putting the JCB together, I just had to laugh at what was written on the side of the JCB - WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN

It's a Volvo not a JCB ... :P

All credit to the Developer, it will be a night mare site to work on! Three carriageways around the building on a slope situated in the middle of the legal / financial district (they wont want any noise when the pile driving starts) and such limited access to the site - and then to have to work around retaining the facade... impressive work.

Great pics by the way, it will be nice to see if and how the design team blend the new building into the impressive frontage.

It shows how much profit there must be in cups of coffee.

I was at the old Courthouse on Friday Morning while JCK where putting the JCB together, I just had to laugh at what was written on the side of the JCB - WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN

It's a Volvo not a JCB ... :P

yeah one ov them

Archived