Isle Of Man International Broadcasting

Tris

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, there was a lot of coverage of it a year or so ago, and now it has gone very quiet. The site says it plans to float in 2005, has it done so yet? Also, I didn't know it was aimed at women shoppers, seems an odd segment to go for given the amount of shopping channels on Sky! Oh well, I'm sure they know what they are doing!

• 2 months later...

At least they seem to have a website: click me do!

The address given there is St. Paul's Square, Ramsey, and the financial bit reads:

The project and the Company's operations have been funded entirely by equity investment in excess of £2.4 million from the Company's shareholders. Several million more is being spent on construction of technical facilities, operational accomodation, etc and further amounts on working capital and on implementing a high profile marketing strategy.

Looking at the amounts mentioned there, it looks like a serious operation, but I somehow agree with parchedpeas - LW is an odd choice in our age of technology, and the Long Wave - Dinosaur or desirable destiny ? bit on their website somehow failed to convince me...

There were rumours that the backers were American religious nutters as there are no such controls in IOM territorial waters. But it does seem to have gone quiet now.

The only thing that reminds me of Americans on their site is this:

Our station will be heard across the entire UK and Ireland as well as parts of mainland Europe on 279 kHz Long Wave and on cellular phones.

I've never heard anyone over here (i.e. outside the US) using the term "cellular phones", or is that a going term as far as technology is concerned?

This is a bloody waste of time digital radio is the way forward not LW haha.

Who wants to listen to all that bad quality radio when DAB will soon be taking over.

This is a non starter alright, a white elephant that the government can give grants too, so it will probably go ahead :blink:

O no coming to think about it government spending has stopped since MEA so it probably will never go ahead now.

Such a shame i was waiting with glee to see the blot on the landscape and taking picnics on a sunday to watch it lol

The chap who is heading this proposed LW station was quite active on a previous Manx forum and did an excellent job answering questions and criticisms.

That's not quite how I remember it.

There were rumours that the backers were American religious nutters as there are no such controls in IOM territorial waters. But it does seem to have gone quiet now.

The only thing that reminds me of Americans on their site is this:

Our station will be heard across the entire UK and Ireland as well as parts of mainland Europe on 279 kHz Long Wave and on cellular phones.

I've never heard anyone over here (i.e. outside the US) using the term "cellular phones", or is that a going term as far as technology is concerned?

Seems like it to me...

The Station will not focus on one type of music to the exclusion of all others, i.e. there will be a broad selection of music types and an extensive music play list. It is likely that the mainstay of music heard will be light rock and soul, with significant jazz and blues plus some inspirational and gospel music, reflecting the wider tastes of our adult listeners.

There really is nothing else to distinguish their description of their programming from a million other radio stations across the country. Do we really want the Island to become known for allowing this kind of stuff to corrupt neighbouring Islands?

The chap who is heading this proposed LW station was quite active on a previous Manx forum and did an excellent job answering questions and criticisms.

That's not quite how I remember it.

umm, well. He was quite vociferous and wrote very long posts with some big words in it and his grammar and spelling was very good.

:)

• 5 months later...

Finally it looks like the Island gets another radio station!

IOM Today

This website has learned IoMIB has acquired a radio vessel called St Paul, which until last year was the base for Radio 603.

For 18 months it broadcast from the coast of the Finnish Aland islands.

The vessel is now in Denmark, preparing to come to the Island.

IoMIB will use the vessel as a temporary broadcast platform while the long-wave station proves its economic viability.

And who is leaving the hill?

IoMIB is also hoping to announce several big names in its launch line-up, including former Radio Caroline North DJs Mick Luvzit, Emperor Rosko and 'Ugli' Ray Teret, former BBC Radio 1 DJ Mike Read and 'at least one Manx Radio personality'.

So Long Wave Radio joins:

Manx Radio FM

Manx Radio AM (Radio TT/Tynwald/Power Boats)

Three FM

Energy FM

Ramsey community Radio

The IoMIB website seems well out of date. Thought this project had hit the rails some time ago. What (and who) will they be broadcasting to? If the likes of Emperor Rosko are signed up it must be a Radio Caraoline service

Archived