Isle Of Man International Broadcasting

Tris

Their previous applications for planning consent were strongly fought against (sometimes on somewhat irrational grounds) but they were given permission for a barge like structure that used a type of antenna that was much smaller than would otherwise be required using conventional designs. At the time colleagues from my university were intrigued by the, to them, fallacious scientific argument backing up this novel design, subsequently all attempts to build such antennas have to the best of my knowledge either failed or the projects have been quietly dropped. I wonder therefore if this boat will actually comply with the planning permission given.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Their previous applications for planning consent were strongly fought against (sometimes on somewhat irrational grounds) but they were given permission for a barge like structure that used a type of antenna that was much smaller than would otherwise be required using conventional designs. At the time colleagues from my university were intrigued by the, to them, fallacious scientific argument backing up this novel design, subsequently all attempts to build such antennas have to the best of my knowledge either failed or the projects have been quietly dropped. I wonder therefore if this boat will actually comply with the planning permission given.

You can broadcast LW from a wire fence if you stick enough power through it and connect it via a good enough ATU.

[ioMIB will use the vessel as a temporary broadcast platform while the long-wave station proves its economic viability.

How long is temporary? Can economic viability be proven in less than say, 2 years?

Call me sceptical, but I don't think there's any rush to finance a one off ariel which would be a liability, when they have can sell on a sea going vessel when the experiment falls flat on its face.

You can broadcast LW from a wire fence if you stick enough power through it and connect it via a good enough ATU.

You need a very very long piece of wire to broadcast an effective long wave signal - which will have anything like the coverage into mainland Europe which IOMIB have been proposing. Long Wave (geddit?). The lower the frequency the bigger the antenna.

Alternatively - you need a magic science aerial like the one Frances was talking about above but which nobody believes in.

If this is for real - then my guess is that it will be a low power signal with very limited coverage. It'll be a publicity stunt for the station which will probably only be available to most people via the internet and maybe satellite.

nobody can recieve longwave any more, new cars dont have it. Daft.

My radio indoors only has AM and FM aswell, I doubt people are going to buy old equipment to be able to listen to it.

I pretty much feel the same about AM and FM these days. The only radio I've got which gets Manx is in the car.

if it does cause radio interference then it will be shut down quite quickly but many existing receivers might be swamped by a very powerful local signal - if however I lived overlooking Ramsey bay where the barge was to be parked I would be worried more from the noise of powerful generators running 24/7. I must admit that the LW concept always raised my own suspicion that it was a front for something else - there is the newer DRM (digital radio mondiale) which is capable of atransmittig higher quality signal on the AM bands but receivers are not that common

still waiting for a 'rustling' type sound on the tuner coming from Ramsey Bay...does anyone know when its mast is going to float into view?

as I hinted back in January - the St Paul is going to float into view!!!! ...is the vessel going to be renamed Caroline??

I hear the name 'Titanic' is currently available on the ship register.

Actually, I wish them luck and I do hope it takes off. I really think they need to hit internet listeners and build up a larger world audience. I think radio stations have a great opportunity if they play their cards right.

Finally it looks like the Island gets another radio station!

IOM Today

This website has learned IoMIB has acquired a radio vessel called St Paul, which until last year was the base for Radio 603.

For 18 months it broadcast from the coast of the Finnish Aland islands.

The vessel is now in Denmark, preparing to come to the Island.

IoMIB will use the vessel as a temporary broadcast platform while the long-wave station proves its economic viability.

And who is leaving the hill?

IoMIB is also hoping to announce several big names in its launch line-up, including former Radio Caroline North DJs Mick Luvzit, Emperor Rosko and 'Ugli' Ray Teret, former BBC Radio 1 DJ Mike Read and 'at least one Manx Radio personality'.

So Long Wave Radio joins:

Manx Radio FM

Manx Radio AM (Radio TT/Tynwald/Power Boats)

Three FM

Energy FM

Ramsey community Radio

The IoMIB website seems well out of date. Thought this project had hit the rails some time ago. What (and who) will they be broadcasting to? If the likes of Emperor Rosko are signed up it must be a Radio Caraoline service

heard on the grapevine they've lined john peel up. where's mike reynolds gone?

Archived