Isle Of Man International Broadcasting

Tris

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally have no objection to this project. I'm just curious as to why they want to do it. As it's been suggested, Long Wave is hardly cutting edge these days.

The company seemed to have pulled in investors from somewhere and our

glorious government ( god bless 'em) seem to have minimal involvement, but the question still hangs there: why?

In the heady pirate radio days of the '60's the whole enterprise meant something.

It was youth culture kicking out at the establishment. Surely now - when commercial radio stations can be set up with the minimal of fuss - if you've got the cash, a broadcaster that relies on mainstream advertising is hardly going to be revolutionary.

I see from other posts that the technicalities of long wave broadcasting my be a problem with regard to mast height.

Caroline's medium wave transmitter was a sight to behold, would the St. Paul have to have a bigger mast?

The only broadcaster that has the wherewithall to have a truly catholic playlist and the reach (bar the net) to launch new bands is the BBC, so what can IomIB be contemplating? Talk radio? Cricket commentary, the daily service and the Archers?

Like everything else they seem to be planning, it's all been done - and with the wealth of experience, in all probability, better.

St. Paul pictured.

post-2469-1150243952_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Its still going ahead???

MR News site

Plans for another Island radio station are still in place, according to its chief executive.

MusicMann 279, the brainchild of Isle of Man International Broadcasting PLC, was due to go live last year with its transmitter sited off Ramsey bay, but has encountered a number of disruptions.

However, Paul Rusling says the delays are being resolved and he’s still hopeful the project will go ahead.

• 7 months later...

From the IoM Longwave website

Announcement

The board of the Isle of Man International Broadcasting Plc (IMIB) is currently actively engaged in formulating a revised strategy to secure the future of this radio station.

All future announcements will be posted on this site at the appropriate time.

All other content/start dates etc removed

Guess that is that

From the IoM Longwave website

Announcement

The board of the Isle of Man International Broadcasting Plc (IMIB) is currently actively engaged in formulating a revised strategy to secure the future of this radio station.

All future announcements will be posted on this site at the appropriate time.

All other content/start dates etc removed

Guess that is that

That's a shame. It'll stop a lot of people learning screech, scratch, honk, buzz, whistle, z-z-z-z English from the radio.

Archived