Protection

FCMR

although it is unlikely to provide cover if a person acts in a way they know will cause third-party loses

I should hope so!

I was also worried to note in the Insider that a new code of practice for ministers and MHK's was being considered -

[Gelling] said that ... the integrity of the Isle of Man was paramount both locally and nationally.

Now maybe I'm reading it wrong, but is this implying that MHK's will be held to a code of practice that precludes criticising the Government to the media?

although it is unlikely to provide cover if a person acts in a way they know will cause third-party loses

I should hope so!

I was also worried to note in the Insider that a new code of practice for ministers and MHK's was being considered -

[Gelling] said that ... the integrity of the Isle of Man was paramount both locally and nationally.

Now maybe I'm reading it wrong, but is this implying that MHK's will be held to a code of practice that precludes criticising the Government to the media?

yes

I'd imagine the extra protection will relate to appointments of Ministers to quasi-judicial positions (eg. planning committees etc) or politicians/Ministers to statutory boards (MEA, FSC) which they ofter require a political appointment (i.e an MHK or minister).

I consider it rather sensible for the taxpayer to be insured against possible mistakes. As other posters say it doesn't cover fraud etc. although reckless incompetence may be a bit of a grey area.

So, all in all, xxxxall

In Tynwald today Mrs Cannell got the answer shes been asking for, for quite a while.

Q. At Tynwald select hearings where MHKs or Government officials are called to give evidence who is paying for the legal advice or attendance by Advocates is it the person themselves, Gov departments or insurance.

A From Mr Bell its the departments that pick the bill up

Q So its the Taxpayer

A Yes.

It was also revealed in Tynwald today that the MEA have a contract over the Gas supply to the MEA at over £100 million and the contract has been wrote under Irish law, the new board of the MEA dont know how to proceed with this, more xxxx and dept legal costs It this was the case Mr Bell then why and who paid for the team of Advocates that the DTL had while giving evidence in the small claims court over a £25 claim and also who paid for the team of Advocates for the DTL at the Tynwald select into grants.

Mea

In Tynwald today Mrs Cannell got the answer shes been asking for, for quite a while.

Q. At Tynwald select hearings where MHKs or Government officials are called to give evidence who is paying for the legal advice or attendance by Advocates is it the person themselves, Gov departments or insurance.

A From Mr Bell its the departments that pick the bill up

Q So its the Taxpayer

A Yes.

Hmmm. Interesting given that she gave evidence to the Childcare inquiry and certainly used HER legal representative to the fullest extent.

Archived