Tv Licence?

cheesemonster2005

Do you bother paying for a TV licence?  

145 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What is the history behind the IOM residents paying a TV licence fee?

We seem to be so proud that we are not part of the UK but agree to pay this licence fee to Britain for it's national TV service.

What would happen if everyone here said "No we are not paying it"

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What would happen if everyone here said "No we are not paying it"

I suspect wherever possible they would switch off the transmitters.

I did a little digging into this:

See here

Her Majesty, in exercise of the powers conferred upon Her by section 204(6) of the Broadcasting Act 1990[1], is pleased, by and with the advice of Her Privy Council, to order, and it is hereby ordered, as follows:

1. This Order may be cited as the Broadcasting Act 1990 (Isle of Man) Order 1991 and shall come into force on 1st April 1991.

2.—(1) The following provisions of the Broadcasting Act 1990 shall extend to the Isle of Man—

(a) section 180, except subsection (4); and

(b) Part I of Schedule 18.

(2) For the purpose of construing those provisions as so extended as part of the law of the Isle of Man, any reference to the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1949[2]shall be construed as a reference to that Act as it has effect in the Isle of Man.

Section 180 (subsection 4) seems to imply they can't insist on firms selling or hiring TVs collecting and forwarding your details to anyone.

Section 180

Section 180

Transfer to BBC of functions connected with television licences (1) The [1949 c. 54.] Wireless Telegraphy Act 1949 (“the 1949 Act”) shall have effect subject to the amendments specified in Part I of Schedule 18 to this Act (by virtue of which functions of the Secretary of State as respects the issue and renewal of television licences are transferred to the BBC).

(2) Section 3(3) of the [1969 c. 48.] Post Office Act 1969 (refunds in respect of wireless telegraphy licences) shall not apply to sums which, by virtue of subsection (1) above, are paid to the BBC under section 2(1) of the 1949 Act (fees and charges for licences); but refunds of sums so paid may be made by the BBC, out of sums received by them under section 2(1) of the 1949 Act, in such cases or classes of cases as they may determine.

(3) Except so far as required for the making of refunds under subsection (2) above, sums received by the BBC under section 2(1) of the 1949 Act shall be paid into the Consolidated Fund.

(4) Part I of the [1967 c. 72.] Wireless Telegraphy Act 1967 (obtaining of information as to sale and hire of television sets) shall have effect subject to the amendments specified in Part II of Schedule 18 to this Act (by virtue of which all of the functions of the Secretary of State under that Part of that Act, apart from his power to make regulations under section 2(7) or 6(1), are transferred to the BBC).

There are also additional payments made to Border and Classic FM (see Comms commission doc and search using 'television')

I may be wrong, but I can't see anywhere that this legislation has since been superceded.

I suspect wherever possible they would switch off the transmitters.

My freeview signal comes from the Caldbeck transmitter, I can't see them being able to turn that off or even turn the power down!, asides from that it would be easy to 'pinch' the signal from elsewhere, like on the Laxey coast road about 5 uk mobile signals can be picked up. (O2, orange, T-mobile....etc)

So if BBC turned off these transmitters would the IOM still be able to recieve a signal from satelites via a dish?

The legislation exists on the island - so however you receive it, without a licence, as I read it you will still be breaking Manx law (albeit foisted on us by HM QEII).

Albert,

Border TV & Classic FM pay fees to the Isle of Man there are no fees paid to them, quote

The Isle of Man’s share of Border Television’s and Classic FM’s

tender payments to the UK Treasury is forecast to fall in 2003-

04 to just over £60k, a result of the downturn in the broadcast

advertising market.

• 1 month later...

Thanks to all the posters in this thread. This makes us realise that our experience is not untypical.

When we arrived on the island we found a welcoming threatening letter from the TV Licensing Authority waiting for us in our letter box - before we even had time to buy a television or consider doing so.

Of course no prior polite communication had been sent - these bureaucrats have obviously worked out that it is better to go straight on to 'red alert - incoming Russian missiles' status than to engage with their clients in civilised correspondence. Digging further into our mail we found round two - a further set of threats supplemented by a complaint that we had not contacted them. Given their first letter, even if we had been around to do so, why on earth would we want to communicate with people whose very limited knowledge of the English language seems to be confined to muttering vulgar threats?

I have sent the letters off to the First Minister to ask him if this is the way he feels residents he represents should be communicated with - no doubt the poor man has drawers full of such letters!

For those of you wondering what rights exist in terms of Inspectors entering premises it appears that (at least in the UK) they can only do so if supported by a warrant from a magistrate. The article whose address is given below includes a summary of rights of entry - in relation to the UK Broadcasting Act it states:

Broadcasting Act 1990 - Search for evidence of provision of unlicensed radio or television services

JP’s warrant needed. Officer of OFCOM may enter and search. Obstruction: £5,000 fine

More detils at

www.cps.org.uk/cpsfile.asp?id=693

Finally this may amuse some readers - I note in passing that the television did not have an aerial connection and that this sent the inspector into paroxysms as it was not receiving television services - well if you read further he did find a way of demonstrating that it was receiving a service...

http://www.pressdispensary.co.uk/releases/c991094.php

Finally this may amuse some readers - I note in passing that the television did not have an aerial connection and that this sent the inspector into paroxysms as it was not receiving television services - well if you read further he did find a way of demonstrating that it was receiving a service...

http://www.pressdispensary.co.uk/releases/c991094.php

If I remember correctly - a licence is needed if the equipment is CAPABLE of receiving TV broadcasts at the same time as they are broadcast. So, even if the TV is not connected to an aerial - it still needs a licence. The same applies to DVD recorders and VCRs - they can receive TV broadcasts and so are covered by the licence requirements. On point worth mentioning - TV cards in PCs also require a licence. Of course, any number of devices used in any one household are covered by one licence.

The only exceptions to equipment not needing a licence is if it is powered by internal batteries ie, small handheld TVs do not require a licence.

From one of my frequent reminders

Offical Warning This Property is Unlicenced

you are hereby notified that we have authorised officers from our Enforcement Division to visit your home as our records show there is still no TV licence at this address and as yet we have received no response from you to previous correspondence

If they find evidence that you watch or record TV programme services without a valid TV licence they may take a statement of Evidence. Your Statement would be taken in compliance with the Police powers and Procedures Act 1998, and is the first step in any action to prosecute....................

On the reverse

If you do not use TV receiving equipment, including TV sets, set top boxes, video or DVD recorders, computers, or mobile phones to watch or record TV programmes as they are being shown on TV, you do not need a TV licence. To help us update our records please write to us at TV Licensing, Bristol BS98 1TL ststing that you do not use a television. We will contact you in due course, just to confirm the situation...........

Well Hugh Jampton did reply to the first two reminders after cancelling my direct debt for the licence renewel. I did get a knock on the door one dark evening and a pleasent lady asked if I used a TV set.

I replied "No I have disabled it and use it as a monitor."

I invited her in to switch it on....... no picture. I showed her the arial socket was disabled and the arial socket in the wall was cable tied up and behind a long row of LPs.

She was satisfied that I did not need a licence under the conditions above.

I still receive reminders of a threatening nature from Bristol but cannot now be bothered to do anything with them apart from keeping the together with copies of my letters ready to hand over to the next caller from the Enforcement Division.

I do not own a car but our Government do do hound me because I do not have a licence/tax

An elderly retired neighbour has purchased a licence, never missed, in over 40 years.

For some reasons, these fascist bastards from TV Licensing Isle of Man have decided to send her threatening letters. She was so upset I went to the local Post Office where she bought the licence to explain and they said to just ignore the letters The threatening red letters still keep coming.

I phoned the bastards up and they said they would sort it out.

The threatening red letters still keep coming.

If anyone involved with TV Licensing Isle of Man is reading this I hope you have restless nights for the next couple of years and then die.

But you won't because you are paid a shed load of our money and are probably so stupid you are oblivious to the distress your nasty fascist tactics cause.

Archived