Tv Licence?

cheesemonster2005

Do you bother paying for a TV licence?  

145 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Skeddan - you forgot to mention the fantastic BBC TV studios and local TV provision in the Channel Islands too. We get next to nothing for the licence fee - except the occassional mention on BBC North West - in which case the news is presented from the point of view of an outsider reporting on 'islanders'.

There is a pattern of bias in BBC - the investment is kept as much as possible in England, as close to London as possible. Examples of this - This season and last season BBC Wales' big drama productions were 'Life in Mars' and 'Ashes to Ashes' - both 99% English productions, £200,000,000 to be invested in Bernie Ecclestone's Formula One - but no TV coverage of FIFA World Cup qualifiers for Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland. 38 local radio stations in England and Cornwall, 2 local radio stations in the Channel Islands, 1.5 stations for Scotland, 2 stations for Wales 2 stations for Northern Ireland. I could go on and on - point is, we don't get a fair deal, the BBC invest as they see fit. If only our government had a pair.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Skeddan - you forgot to mention the fantastic BBC TV studios and local TV provision in the Channel Islands too. We get next to nothing for the licence fee - except the occassional mention on BBC North West - in which case the news is presented from the point of view of an outsider reporting on 'islanders'.

Yes.

Apart from lack of local TV and radio provision, employment, training, raising profile of IoM, economic benefits, current affairs coverage, etc, also the fact that in addition MR is paid for out of tax to provide a basic radio service that the BBC does not provide.

If there was an 'agreement' that IoM should pay BBC TV Licence fee which was approved by Tynwald, then surely IOMG has been a bit amiss in negotiating this - or was it simply imposed with IoM having no say in it?

Apart from issue of Westminster imposing tax on IoM and making Manx Law without Tynwald, if the BBC gets abt £1-2M pa from IoM in a 'TV tax', you'd think there would be more that should come from this than 'spillover' broadcasting which people in Eire get for free and which costs the BBC virtually nothing.

I'd think it would be worth considering renegotiating the 'agreement'. Then again, it seems people aren't bothered about paying a tax imposed by people they haven't democratically elected, are quite happy paying for spillover and paying extra for MR on top of that. Seems a really good arrangement - at least for the UK.

£200,000,000 to be invested in Bernie Ecclestone's Formula One

That's the BBC (oops you and me) paying for Bernie to plant all those trees to compensate for the CO2 emissions F1 generates. As a (former?) financial supporter of the UK Labour Party I guess Bernie is a Greenie at heart. Getting the great unwashed to contribute from licence fees for his emissions seems pretty reasonable to me...

And it's not all bad news - didn't I once see the licence fees supporting the filming of a whole part of a Top Gear episode on the island - probably brought in mega boatloads of tourists. The Government must have been delighted that the BBC was doing something for the IoM from the licence fees it raises for them.

Ummmmm the Beeb must have had to pay for another pile of trees too.

That's the BBC (oops you and me) paying for Bernie to plant all those trees to compensate for the CO2 emissions F1 generates. As a (former?) financial supporter of the UK Labour Party I guess Bernie is a Greenie at heart. Getting the great unwashed to contribute from licence fees for his emissions seems pretty reasonable to me...

As opposed to you and me paying for the ITV coverage via the cost of advertising that is passed onto the consumer by the producer.

Surely if the IOM decided not to permit the BBC to raise licence revenue on the island, then the Beeb would switch off the transmissions.

So there must be an agreement in force, probably NOT imposed by Westminster, because islanders feel that the licence fee is worthwhile.

It's a different situation in Eire, where those who can receive BBC transmissions are close to the border, and are able to pick up transmissions aimed at Ulster.

Sebrof

Sebrof, I don't quite follow your logic.

Why would whether islanders feel it is worthwhile lead one to conclude there must be an agreement in force? The relevant Act of Parliament was extended to IoM by an Order in Council. There is nothing I know of to show an agreement, either with IoMG or incorporation of this by an Act of Tynwald.

Perhaps islanders are satisfied with BBC, but this doesn't mean that IoM is getting the value for money it should out of this tax. Compare to Channel Islands.

Falls off chair. How much?

Well, the BBC are denying that the costs will be this high now -

Inititial reports were that they had agreed to pay £35,000,000 p.a for five years for the rights = £175, 000, 000 + estimated costs of production at £5,000,000 p.a. = £200,000,000!

They now claim that they are only forking out £30, 000, 000 p.a. for the rights.

The production costs seem excessive, but placing cameras around a racetrack, and using helicopters etc costs money - when you add in the costs of flying a large production crew all over the world to set up for each race and then have to pay hotel bills in places like Monaco it all adds up - no wonder you fell off your chair.

I don't think the television companies handle most of that, I always thought the stream they get is from Formula One Administration Ltd (or whatever the name); all TV stations get the same feed and just have their own commentators/a few presenters on-site.

The production costs seem excessive, but placing cameras around a racetrack, and using helicopters etc costs money - when you add in the costs of flying a large production crew all over the world to set up for each race and then have to pay hotel bills in places like Monaco it all adds up - no wonder you fell off your chair.

£5m seems very very reasonable for production. How many races do they cover? The TV coverage is superb - I love the railcams by the pitstop and the cameramen are first class and outstanding. That kind of production does get seriously expensive (helicopters need special camera mounts, microwave links, comms etc. etc.) The production costs seem remarkably cheap to me - even if they are using FTEs and inhouse gear rather than freelancers and hired kit.

Are you sure this is the full cost of the coverage, or is it just BBC's share? It really seems unbelievably low. I'd be thinking it would cost the better part of this to cover just a single race.

If nobody paid the licence fee and the BBC transmitters were shut down would we still be able to receive BBC programmes via satellite?

As I understand, most people in IoM have satellite, so coverage would probably be unaffected. Perhaps Sky could put in a block and scramble the signal for the sake of a few thousand in IoM, but it would be a big exercise effecting millions in the UK. They wouldn't block unless they had to - and they don't do this for the Irish either. Maybe the BBC could pressure Sky to produce special set top boxes for IoM - but I guess there'd be workarounds as well. Ultimately Westminster might legislate to make having such 'unauthorised' receivers in IoM illegal - just like they have with broadcast receivers in a property without a TV licence.

At least they do their research on us.

10 o clock news tonight thee was an item on prescription charges in England, NI, Scotland and Wales, they light up parts of the map to show the charges in the country they were talking about.

Apparently we are part of england

Archived