Tv Licence?

cheesemonster2005

Do you bother paying for a TV licence?  

145 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Still I'd think the most effective approach would be if everyone who has been unduly harassed, intimidated, hounded etc. complained to the BBC Trust.

I'll certainly bear it in mind as an option next time I feel annoyed enough to do something about it.

Re the Data Protection complaint angle, I found that when BBC / Capita and the Performing Rights Society started threatening me with the law, the best form of defense was to threaten them back with the law by informing them that if they continued on their present course you would file a data protection complaint against them. I had a letter back from Capita within a week and I haven't heard a peep out of the PRS since

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If there are genuine complaints about the manner of collection of the licence fee - as there seems to be - then the way of dealing with this is to make a complaint to the BBC Trust.

Thanks for this information Skeddan. I have written to them to complain about the threatening letters sent to my wife and me to welcome us to the island. I have also asked them to clarify their understanding of the requirement in the Broadcasting Act 1990 that search for evidence of provision of unlicensed radio or television services requires a JP’s warrant - and whether they feel that this is communicated clearly to the public.

Will be interested to see if they reply. If it has some substance I will post it here.

No objection to paying for a licence fee (particularly if there was a good service too) but I do object to receiving letters written by an ill-mannered yob whose powers of persuasion are limited to idle threats.

If there are genuine complaints about the manner of collection of the licence fee - as there seems to be - then the way of dealing with this is to make a complaint to the BBC Trust.

Will be interested to see if they reply. If it has some substance I will post it here.

Have now received the following email:

Thank you for your email of 18 April to the BBC Trust regarding the wording of correspondence you have received from TV Licensing.

We are looking into the matters you raise and will respond as soon as possible. In the meantime, would it be possible for you to either email or send us a copy of the letters you have received to which you refer?

Thank you for raising your concerns with us.

Yours sincerely

Victoria Finney

Correspondence Manager

BBC Trust Unit

211, 35 Marylebone High Street, London W1U 4AA

A name for others to contact if you don't like either the ineficiency with which Capita operates on behalf of the TVLA - or the wordings of their letters. If you want change I would recommend that you write to her.

Yours sincerely

Victoria Finney

Correspondence Manager

BBC Trust Unit

211, 35 Marylebone High Street, London W1U 4AA [/i]

A name for others to contact if you don't like either the ineficiency with which Capita operates on behalf of the TVLA - or the wordings of their letters. If you want change I would recommend that you write to her.

Sounds like you haven't got much past the mail room yet.

paperpile.jpg

Sounds like you haven't got much past the mail room yet.

paperpile.jpg

Thanks for the photo and words of encouragement!!!! You can probably see my letter 14 down from the top right.

To even find that there is a post room I can further clog with my complaints and a lady therein called Victoria (not Beckham though - but still named after a great soccer player) is a "small step for Man" - probably a very small one at that.

I too received another threatening letter today.

I have put it with the rest, to be handed over to the Enforcement Officer when she calls again

An alternative - send the full set to Victoria Finney at the BBC Trust - add to the pile Albert photographed.... to quote from Skeddan's post

The functions of the BBC Trust under the BBC Charter include (S.24 at p.8):

m) ensuring that arrangements for the collection of the licence fee are efficient, appropriate and proportionate.

There seem to be a lot of people saying that it is not efficient or appropriate.

I hate ads, so don't mind paying for BBC. But the threatening tone of all their communications re licence avoidance makes me want to NOT pay it. I've an Irish Sky card, and RTE's licence ones are brilliant in comparison - much more human and very funny.

Archived