Another Air Service

Utah 01

This time it's BA Citiexpress who the Irish are going to have a go at. Aer Arran start Island to Luton service on 24 November, twice a day, once on Sats and Suns. BA have hung on the route with pretty low numbers so the Irish wade in to dilute the numbers even more. I've already made my views known on this latest (uneccessary) operator on the Island. :angry:

Aren't Aer Arran a 'trading partner' or what-not with BA?

If so, doesn't the writing on the wall say to you that BA is likely to pull out of any services that AA decides to serve. Sounds like horsetrading behind closed doors to me.

Oh good. I've started another Manx Conspiracy Theory...

No horsetrading as far as BA is concerned. Their empire is far too vast to get into local agreements with small operators. AFAIK there is no connection whatsoever with Arran. It is a straight head-to-head and like every other route Arran has decided to go on from the Island the current loads cannot justify more than 2 operators on a good day and no more than one in the case of Luton. The danger to the Island with outfits like Arran is that they can go as fast as they arrive - it's the carnage to the Island's resident operators that it leaves behind. :(

I have no axe to grind for or against...but I think (from looking at a couple of Googled hits) that Arran is a reasonably successful operator - unlike some of the pretend airlines we've seen at Ronaldsway* over the years.

I just hope it doesn't end up costing BA maintenance jobs on the Island.

* Who WAS Ronald? Sounds like a euphemism for gay. "He wasn't invited into the communal after-game team bath, as the striker suggested he was a bit Ronaldsway".

Well looks like Aer Arran are taking advantage of the governments "new route" grants.

Maybe the government should think about giving grants to airlines who have been serving the island for many years so securing decent routes instead of these pointless new route stuff.

How long is it before a new route is not new?

Was that the reason why Euromanx pulled off so many routes?

Aer Arran are generally much cheaper than Euromanx on the Dublin route.

But Euromanx often run later flights back to the island on a Sunday - allowing more time across which to make a return connection.

It's a pity, in general, that there aren't very much later flights back to the island from both UK and Ireland. It would make it easier to get back here when coming in from abroad.

Seen one of Aer Arrans planes today.

If the state of the outside is anything to go by I wouldnt go near them with a barge pole.

The engine cover is supposed to be white, it was nearly pure brown with the oil and dirt.

First impressions and all that.

If the state of the outside is anything to go by I wouldnt go near them with a barge pole.

The engine cover is supposed to be white, it was nearly pure brown with the oil and dirt.

Why would you post that?

Are you suggesting that there is a possible problem with the systems of safety inspection and regulation of aircraft flying to / from the IOM? That would be scary. It would apply to all companies if the system of inspection and regulation wasn't working.

If Air Arran wasn't compliant (and the issue hadn't been addressed) then it would mean that the system of regulation isn't working, in general.

Given that all companies are subject to the same regulations and systems - so a problem with the regulation of Air Arran would also indicate a potential problem with the regulation of all other carriers including, for example, Euromanx. But if you think that there is a problem with the safety of aircraft flying to / from the IOM then I think you should be reporting your concerns to the appropriate authorities.

It seems unlikely to me. I've a fairly certain belief that pilots know a fair bit about aircraft - and generally face the same dangers as their passengers.

hmm.

You read a massive amount into my post there.

I will clarify.

Any airline that puts in enough effort to make sure their aircraft are clean outside means to me that they take pride in what they are doing.

So in this day and age where there are 4 billion airlines to chose from

I will chose the companies putting in the effort.

Ps. I think Aer Arran will be under the Irish CAA

whereas British ones will be under the CAA so no they wouldnt be subject to the same regulations.

Which is the more strict authority is anyones guess though.

Perhaps they should extend the runway to Cooil Road so they're handy for the Polar Wash?

Any airline that puts in enough effort to make sure their aircraft are clean outside means to me that they take pride in what they are doing.

So you

wouldnt go near them with a barge pole
because their planes are dirty on the outside?

Cripes. I don't suppose that you ever ride on buses or trains.

Archived