Project Centurion

Northline

Haha they always have a name like "project lets get all the drunks of the prom".

This is just another boring waste of time the coppers need to get out of the cars and on foot just have them walking up and down the prom say 4 teams of 2 police every weekend and you would not have a problem.

how can police really get any idea of what is going on looking out of a police car window.

In the uk they have them on foot with battle buses waiting full of coppers it aint a hard problem to fix

There are quite a number of foot patrols on the Promenade on Saturday nights - and a lot of visitors from the UK are not only very impressed by the visibile police presence, but wish they could have the same kind of thing at home.

As for 'Project Centurion' itself, it was a half-baked idea that made no difference to conditions on the Promenade whatsoever. The downturn in the crime figures is merely a reflection of the downturn in the numbers of people going out at the weekends.

Nothing has been achieved by the project that wouldn't have happened naturally in any case.

The award appears to be a direct result of the spin they've managed to put on the results - so they probably deserve more congratulations for presentation than for actually achieving anything!

Project Centurion used to be called Police Work, and if done properly with sufficient resources there would be no need for fancy names or fancy awards. Policing has never changed in reality but has had to embrace all the bullxxxx surrounding modern 'service providers'

This is just another boring waste of time the coppers need to get out of the cars and on foot just have them walking up and down the prom say 4 teams of 2 police every weekend and you would not have a problem.

They dont have enough coppers to have eight police patrolling the prom every weekend.

They dont have enough coppers to have eight police patrolling the prom every weekend.

Oh really - well they managed to have TWO coppers standing on either side of the road at the turning to Marown School today - so they can get police out if they want too. What they were doing this morning God alone knows. One's standing talking to the traffic patrol officer and the other is on the other side of the road, facing Douglas, with what looked like a speed camera thingy - the traffic, I might add, was crawling along/almost stopped on both sides of the road, so I don't suppose he caught many people speeding!!!

The usual spot for the speed camera is Marown churchyard - catches you as you speed down the dip. However coming in for the boat this morning at 7.20 two techies were setting up a radar speed indicator not too far from Marown facing the traffic from Douglas..

• 2 months later...

Sorry to dig this old thing out again, but it was on ManxRadio this morning.

It seems, the 2nd phase of it is about to start, and there's a public meeting regarding it tonight, 6pm at the Sefton.

Just thought some people might be interested in attending, and voicing their opinion - instead of just reading about some results in a few months time...

Well i think the main problem is the drinking habits of most people these days.

I think half the problem is the alcho pops, i have always drank pints and after 10 or 12 pints the last hing you want to do if start trouble, all you want is a laugh and a joke.

I have noticed people who drink the pops seem to be hyper i think it must be the spirits in the actual alcho pop and probably god knows how many E numbers that seems to set them off.

We have all done stupid things drunk but when ever i was going out in douglas the prom was never a problem, most people were either being sick, having sex on the beach or eating chips, and if you were really lucky you would get to do all three :lol:

Well i think the main problem is the drinking habits of most people these days.

I think half the problem is the alcho pops, i have always drank pints and after 10 or 12 pints the last hing you want to do if start trouble, all you want is a laugh and a joke.

I have noticed people who drink the pops seem to be hyper i think it must be the spirits in the actual alcho pop and probably god knows how many E numbers that seems to set them off.

We have all done stupid things drunk but when ever i was going out in douglas the prom was never a problem, most people were either being sick, having sex on the beach or eating chips, and if you were really lucky you would get to do all three :lol:

It doesn't matter what kind of alcohol you drink - there's still a chance that some people will become violent. If you're not an agressive chappie by nature Tool then it probably won't affect you in that way. In my experience it's mostly girls who drink alco-pops. Many Manx men are still too scared of anything that may question their sexuality so steer well clear and stick to the booze.

I'm more of a spirits man myself. Nice whiskey :)

Many Manx men are still too scared of anything that may question their sexuality so steer well clear and stick to the booze.

When I was growing up, I was told that beer (i.e. bitter, mild, etc.) were men's drinks. Lager was just for the ladies - something you could sweeten with a dash of lime or blackcurrant.

I wonder why they called it centurion.

A century was a company of 100 men. A centurion was an officer in charge of 100 men. I still don't get the 100 connection.

Don't know about the connection, but a century had 80 legionaries, plus centurion, optio, guard commander (optio's assistant), the century's standard bearer and a horn blower, so 85 all-in :D

Archived