New Cinema?

Lonan3

From Manx Radio:

The Sefton Hotel is seeking approval in principal for a major tourist facility in the heart of Douglas.

The group, which already owns the Palace cinema, wants to build a four screen multi-plex cinema, a 16 lane bowling alley, restaurants and apartments between Lord Street and Fort Street, opposite the former bus station site.

The Sefton is applying as would be tenants.

The application names Rural Views Limited, of Peregrine House, as the owners of the site.

The area is mainly used for parking but for years has been the subject of proposals for development.

It sounds like a step in the right direction, doesn't it? I just wonder how the Superbowl will view it.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMHO it's not a step forward. We already have bowling lanes - a different attraction would be better. Also If they already own the Palace why don't they knock that down and re-develop it as a mulitplex? There's plenty of parking there while there's not so much public parking around Lord St.

Unless they plan on getting rid of the Palace when the new one is built. Parking is still atrocious up there, I went the other week and it was crammed. If they do build a big entertainment centre they'll have to stick a multi-storey on it or something.

Unless they plan on getting rid of the Palace when the new one is built. Parking is still atrocious up there, I went the other week and it was crammed. If they do build a big entertainment centre they'll have to stick a multi-storey on it or something.

I'm pretty sure the Sefton company said they were going to replace the Palace when they bought it - and promised more than the lousy 2 screens we have at the moment.

As for the current bowling alley - it's a dump!

With regard to apartments - I'd prefer to see them springing up in somewhere like Lord Street instaed of the Prom and if it does anything to hasten the demolition of the Corpy ones there it'll be even better.

I do agree, though, that there needs to be serious consideration given to building a multi-storey carpark in the area.

Why was the Sefton/Hilton Group excluded from building the New Hotel at the Bus station Site, I wont even tell you the answer as the Government really cocked up on this decision :lol:

Lets see if my prediction turns out to be right, Its my opinion that the DTL have already decided to give the bus station development to a company that has very good friends within the DTL and it helps when the Chairman of the company is the ex head of the DTL

From Manx Radio:

The Sefton Hotel is seeking approval in principal for a major tourist facility in the heart of Douglas.

The group, which already owns the Palace cinema, wants to build a four screen multi-plex cinema, a 16 lane bowling alley, restaurants and apartments between Lord Street and Fort Street, opposite the former bus station site. The Sefton is applying as would be tenants.

The application names Rural Views Limited, of Peregrine House, as the owners of the site.

The area is mainly used for parking but for years has been the subject of proposals for development.

It sounds like a step in the right direction, doesn't it? I just wonder how the Superbowl will view it.

I this why the carpark next to 'The Cafe' has been closed off :blink:

Archived