Bloody Fireworks

FCMR

Why are the police doing nothing about the sale of fireworks to kids under 18, for the past few nights we have had to put up with all the bangs etc and this has resulted in us having to sedate our dogs. Most of the fireworks that are being let off are by school age kids, the law states its illegal for anyone under the age of 18 to buy fireworks, so how are they getting them.

Why are the police doing nothing about the sale of fireworks to kids under 18, for the past few nights we have had to put up with all the bangs etc and this has resulted in us having to sedate our dogs. Most of the fireworks that are being let off are by school age kids, the law states its illegal for anyone under the age of 18 to buy fireworks, so how are they getting them.

I don't think it's kids buying fireworks, it's people buying stuff for them. All night long they're going off in our back lane here in central Douglas. I've heard them going off in bins and I even seen soemone putting a rocket in the vandal resistant toilets across from quids inn.

Not sure about the police bit, but I'm with you 100% on the sentiment, there's been fireworks going off the past couple of nights here in Governor's Hill & it's driving our dog's mad (not had any complaints from the neighbours yet, but I think (hope) they realise it's only the fireworks making the dogs bark).

It's really pissing me off!!!!!

As a kid - I had plenty of fun messing wth fireworks (lucky enough not to injure myself with stupid pranks) - but at least we messed about with them away from housing estates!!!

A for the law regarding fireworks, - (AFAIK) it's illegal to discharge fireworks in a public place, so maybe the Police could do something from this angle?? (Or are they too busy with the "Centurion" thing????)

I've got no problems with fireworks being set off on the 5th November and accept that we'll have to spend some cash at the vets to sedate the dogs, (rather than whinge about the whole fireworks thing & wish they were banned outright) - but WTF should I have to look at sedating the dogs during the days leading up to the 5th because of a few senseless fuckwhits???

As a kid - I had plenty of fun messing wth fireworks (lucky enough not to injure myself with stupid pranks) - but at least we messed about with them away from housing estates!!!

I agree. I did the same as a kid. But I also remember that were a lot more open spaces in the Douglas-Onchan area at the time.

Maybe there should be some sort of noise limit set on fireworks? For me fireworks are more about the visuals than the bangs and they'd be far less of a nuisance without having to go so far as to totally ban them (which will probs happen sooner or later if things carry on as they are).

There's kids always letting them off in Strand street during the days too leading up to Bonfire Night, that wouldn't be so attractive for them without the bangs probably.

As the law stands, it's perfectly legal to set them off at this time of year, so no wonder the police won't do anything.

I honestly thought there was legislation brought in last year that forbid fireworks to be set off on any other night than November 5th, New Year and Chinese New Year apart from public firework displays and by prior agreement.

Pretty sure this was discussed last year at this time, checking.

Edit: Link here http://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php...fireworks&st=15 . Never got anyone to confirm or deny it.

I thought it was retrictions on time of sale, but also they can only be set off during the periods surrounding Bonfire Night and NYE, but not restricted to only those days.

Download the info from here, my PC won't open them:

http://www.gov.im/Search.gov?search=fireworks&dept=0

Thanks for the info, it's in Information.pdf - a really descriptive title which is why I didn't find it the first time - the relevant bit is this:

"A firework can only be discharged without notification to the Department of Home Affairs between - the period beginning on the 25th October and ending on the 7th November; and the period beginning on the 26th December and ending on the 1st January."

So only a week to go!

Iv'e just had a firework pushed through a window barrier on a flat i manage here in the UK, all the new carpets have burnt as the firework danced from room to room, considering there's people living above and to the side, a pretty foolish thing to do.

The Police were....well not interested really, she ended up telling me about 'Mcyntyre investigates' that was on TV last night.

As with everything thats fun in life, idiots take it to far.

With the complete lack of morals that so many youngsters and adults have these days, i personally think they should only be allowed on the 5th, and only at shows.

Archived