The Isle Of Man And Palistian Islamic Jihad - Shaqaqi

nipper

I should have popped this into International News, but that would be giving it far too much credence.

On page 50 of the latest Isle of Man Courier is this little gem from our very own Department of Home Affairs:

post-1345-1130886099_thumb.jpg

nestling there amongst the Douglas Corporation Shop Lease notice and the usual 'In the Matter of the Companies Acts blah, blah' notices.

I always believed that terrorist groups were far too amorphous to be named and categorised into a neat definitive list.

Now, on a similar but not unrelated subject, I worry about the warning sirens being tested every quarter throughout the island.

In Port Erin they even use the siren to call the fire brigade out. I thought pagers (remember them?) did away with the siren, and these days mobile phones seem to be pretty much ubiquitous.

What is going on?

Yours truly

el nipper

I always believed that terrorist groups were far too amorphous to be named and categorised into a neat definitive list.

The piece in the paper that said "the following organisations are proscribed for the time being" made me chuckle.

I mean "for the time being", what's that about like? Do they mean when all the hype has died down it'll be ok for them to register a company on the Island or summat.

Not forever banned just "for the time being"

Jeez.

Isn't the modern world complicated ... but don't think that listing all the terrorist groups is difficult ... oh no ... our dear government ... and every other government interested in keeping the US as its friend is also trying to list every single terrorist ... check out:

http://www.gov.im/treasury/customs/sanctions.xml

There you will find a UN mandated list of Al Qaeda terrorists, Iraq sanctions busters, Yugoslavian war financiers ... you name it ... and every bank on the Isle of Man will have to cross reference every name on the list against all their accounts and run special checks on any matches. They even publish long lists removing various people who have been able to prove they weren't terrorists! It is a pretty amazing thing ... and if the IOM wants to keep going as an international finance centre it will have to keep doing such things from now to eternity!

And if your name just happens to match with someone on the list ... OUCH don't expect to be able to easily open a bank account, get on a plane, get a mobile phone etc etc etc ... I've no idea how you appeal this sort of thing ... but I don't think the complaints department of Barclays is going to help ... anyone got Kofi Annan's phone number!

OH and the siren ... I've a friend who lives right behind the station in Castletown ... she says the officer in charge told her they only set it off to warn the traffic!! Getting the firemen to turn up ... Pagers. She was really hopping mad after they set it off late one evening and woke up her little baby ... she stormed round and they promised not to set it off after 7.00pm ... score one for angry mums! Seems really silly if you ask me ... but it must be true ... ever heard it go off at night? I aint, but I'm certain they get called out, those pagers must work!

The piece in the paper that said "the following organisations are proscribed for the time being" made me chuckle.

I mean "for the time being", what's that about like? Do they mean when all the hype has died down it'll be ok for them to register a company on the Island or summat.

Not forever banned just "for the time being"

Jeez.

Being proscribed by the executive without a judicial hearing is a temporary sanction. If a legitimate organisation with an indentical was caught by proscription was caught then surely it ought to have a right to challenge.

Similarly, "for the time being" more explicitly enables the list to be varied as and when required.

Not that proscription by names really does anything anyway. A bit like ID cards

Archived