How Much Meat Is Imported?

manxchatterbox

Am I right in thinking that you need a licence to be able to import meat and meat products into the IOM?

So, with Ramadan finishing last week it made me think about the muslim community on the IOM. Don't muslim people have to eat halal meat? i.e the animal has been slaughtered in accordance with the Quoran and in a particular way?

I checked with a local butcher and they said they don't know of anyone with a licenece to bring in halal meat?

So - are all the muslim people on the IOM vegetarian ? eating non-halal meat? or bringing halal meat in without licences??

Safeways (as was) in Chester Street used to stock a tremendous amount of halal chicken. I haven't seen any halal meat on sale here at all, that I can recall.

Same question goes for kosher though, as that slaughter ritual is pretty similar, I think. Interesting, perhaps the same supplier is supplying both!

mmm...I'm sure some halal meat is imported, at least, I was told it was by my boss when I worked in a fast food place that only sells halal meat.

He told me once that some government officials came to inspect his place once and challenged him on his amounts of halal meat and he told them that they'd be silly to try to do anything about it as he supplied all the Muslim doctors and surgeons on the Island, and if they couldn't get their halal meat there could be big trouble with strikes etc.

not sure exactly which govt department it was though, and before I could question him further he'd switched the conversation back to his old favourite of how loud he was going to laugh when he got to heaven and heard me screaming in hell below....

ah so we have a conflict with this topic - some say Tromode is licensed to do halal slaughter and that's where the muslim community get their meat from - and some say its imported and th efrightners have been put on the relevant authority - so what is the truth?

If the meat plant does it will they say?? or if its imported will the relevant Dept say?

lets see???

Evidently you can get Manx lamb in a butchers in Warrington cheaper than over here :( How's that?

For the same reason that Danish bacon is cheaper in the UK than in Denmark - and consists of the best cuts. The first thing most Danes warn British visitors is not expect the same standard of bacon locally as they're used to at home.

Afraid its not a quality thing for lamb. We produce more lamb than we can consume on the island and are very expensive in doing so. The gov bails out the farmers by the hill farms subsidies and building meat plants and animal waste rendering plant for them, no other industry gets this preferential treatment..

So we have a lamb excess which we need to sell, the EEC has masses of lamb [ think french protests and NZ}. So we sell at a very low price to get rid of it and make up the difference with an export subsidy to the farmers/ fatstock association.

Milk production works on a similar overproduce sell cheap method and i think i heard that we were going to start to export flour, be interesting to see the subsidies on that.

Basically its a method of putting public money into farmers pockets.

Re Halal meat, was not the fatstock association prosecuted for selling meat as halal when they knew it wasnt, about three years ago i think.

Archived