Derbyhaven's New Housing Estate

manxchatterbox

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I.O.M. newspapers have been in touch on the Derbyhaven development.

It appears the local resident association is opposed to it.

As well as our initial comment to DOLGE I mentioned the presence of birds such as waders at Derbyhaven and also the danger that this development would create an undesirable precedent on the golf course.

It 's the SPMCE's view after looking at the Southern Sector Map which unfortunately is badly drawn that this land is not zoned for dwellings. If we are right this would be a major point in the arguments.

Please keep yur points in the public arena as it looks as this will go all the way in the planning process and doing so will help in reaching the right decision. Your views should not be about who the developer is but strictly on the plan.

Have been away and checked up on what other properties GFL has and what he's doing with them so we get an idea of which direction everything is going with what he (?) owns - the following article from early 2003 came back from a Scottish newspaper editor:-

Malcolm King announced the sale of the Machrie Hotel and Golf Links

to a company owned by Graham Ferguson Lacey from the Isle of Man.

The King family acquired the golf links in November 1995, since when

they have invested substantial sums refurbishing the hotel and

maintaining the quality and challenge of the links, which now stands

at number 58 in the top courses of the British Isles.

Malcolm King, who has been responsible for operating the hotel and

links, explained that his vision for the future involved greater

amounts of investment than was prudent for their family company to

commit to, and that he was handing this precious asset on to the

owner of the Castletown Hotel and Golf Links, Isle of Man.

Already rated as 82 in the top 100 British golf courses, this organisation

has similar interests and is anticipated to have the resources to

continue the process of improving the Machrie in the future.

Malcolm King paid tribute to the staff who had given him unfailing

support during his family’s seven years of ownership. As the largest

employer on the island, he was touched by their enormous loyalty,

good humour and continuing hard work under great pressure.

The new owner, Graham Ferguson Lacey, said, “I am delighted Malcolm

King will remain involved as a consultant for a number of years. We

look forward to carrying on, under the leadership of General Manager,

Ian Brown, the development of this unique Hotel and Golf Links with

the support of the excellent staff.”

The Machrie Hotel and Golf Links – indeed, the whole island – will be

sad to see Malcolm King go, for he has done wonders for both during

his reign (remember how run-down it had become when Murdo MacPherson

had it?). But we should all welcome the new owner and wish him well

as the complex goes from strength to strength.

end article.

So what's happening up there on Islay now? Does anyone on the forum have any contacts on Islay who can give us the skeet???

I see today on the Isleofman online that the golfers have objected to this development. Also the people of Derbyhaven have as well.

Theres no way they are going to want first time buyers houses built there.

I reckon the average house price down there must be about 500k probably more.

I see today on the Isleofman online that the golfers have objected to this development. Also the people of Derbyhaven have as well.

Theres no way they are going to want first time buyers houses built there.

I reckon the average house price down there must be about 500k probably more.

This could be the perfect way to lower house prices. Wherever there is a 500k house just surround it with first-time buyers houses.

Just a short mention of some of the history of the course:

Whilst playing the 7th Hole named the Race Course you may just wonder why the name, well here a little piece of history is to be found. A century and a half before the first ever English Derby the Isle of Man and the then Earl of Derby also the Lord of Mann held the first ever Manx Derby over three furlongs. I might add that this was also thirty-nine years prior to the Newmarket race, which has been proclaimed to be the oldest horse race in existence.

Castletown Golf Links is the Isle of Man’s premier golf course and is a golf destination of global importance located centrally within the United Kingdom. A Top 100 course designed by Old Tom Morris* and redesigned by Mackenzie Ross with its own characteristics and set of challenges offering stunning views from every hole.

*Morris was Keeper of the Greens in Prestwick from 1851 (the year of his son's birth) until 1864. He was also Custodian of the Links in his birthplace of St Andrews - a position he held for nearly forty years - until he reached retirement age in 1902.

Old Tom was famed for his course design; "£1 a day I charged plus expenses." Old Tom declared! He played a part in the design of many famous courses, including Prestwick, Royal Dornoch, Muirfield, Carnoustie, Royal County Down, Nairn and Cruden Bay.

Morris Senior won four Open Championships in the eighteen sixties, (1861, 1862, 1864 and 1867) and is still the oldest person to have won the event at the age of 46

And from http://www.information-britain.co.uk

Castletown has all the benefits and none of the drawbacks of normal links golf. It is literally head and shoulders above most links, which nestle at, or just below, sea level, with views of the water obscured by sand dunes. At Castletown, the golf is all played well above sea level, with views at every hole of tumbling cliffs, rocky fingers pointing into the sea, sweeping bays, hazy coastlines and deeply etched coves - and of course, the ever present sea. Yet the playing conditions are pure links golf - tight-knit, quick-draining turf and smooth, fast runnung greens, with gorse and heather defining the fairways.

I'm not a golfer (I've occasionally hacked around) but I think the history of the course - and it's superb location - definitely need to be preserved

Interesting post, I never realised so much history was attached to the area. Learn something new every day.

Rumours are that he intends to re-design the golf course by moving 3 holes onto the part of Langness which isn't already part of the golf course. It is the bit between the driving range/golf course and the stone wall running at the edge of the Herring Tower area which is owned by Riggle.

Have anyone noticed the double yellow lines along the road from the Langness turnoff towards the Golflinks?

Those lines are illegal! The owner of The Golflinks had them painted, but it is public road and DOT says they did not paint the lines and therefore just ignore the lines. If you are into windsurfing at Derbyhaven Bay you probably know this by now.

Maybe that's why the area is called Derby Haven - from what I've heard as a youngester - this was where the first ever "Derbys" were held.

As for GFL, I think we're on well dodgy ground - from some of the things allegedly attributed to him.

Golf Courses / Housing estates /Dodgy deals / Planning permission???? - haven't we just recently been there??

Latest IOM Blockbuster.......... (cue Star Wars theme tune)

On a golf Course in a galaxy far, far away........

Mount Murray II

Just a short mention of some of the history of the course:

Whilst playing the 7th Hole named the Race Course you may just wonder why the name, well here a little piece of history is to be found. A century and a half before the first ever English Derby the Isle of Man and the then Earl of Derby also the Lord of Mann held the first ever Manx Derby over three furlongs. I might add that this was also thirty-nine years prior to the Newmarket race, which has been proclaimed to be the oldest horse race in existence.

Castletown Golf Links is the Isle of Man’s premier golf course and is a golf destination of global importance located centrally within the United Kingdom. A Top 100 course designed by Old Tom Morris* and redesigned by Mackenzie Ross with its own characteristics and set of challenges offering stunning views from every hole.

*Morris was Keeper of the Greens in Prestwick from 1851 (the year of his son's birth) until 1864. He was also Custodian of the Links in his birthplace of St Andrews - a position he held for nearly forty years - until he reached retirement age in 1902.

Old Tom was famed for his course design; "£1 a day I charged plus expenses." Old Tom declared! He played a part in the design of many famous courses, including Prestwick, Royal Dornoch, Muirfield, Carnoustie, Royal County Down, Nairn and Cruden Bay.

Morris Senior won four Open Championships in the eighteen sixties, (1861, 1862, 1864 and 1867) and is still the oldest person to have won the event at the age of 46

And from http://www.information-britain.co.uk

Castletown has all the benefits and none of the drawbacks of normal links golf. It is literally head and shoulders above most links, which nestle at, or just below, sea level, with views of the water obscured by sand dunes. At Castletown, the golf is all played well above sea level, with views at every hole of tumbling cliffs, rocky fingers pointing into the sea, sweeping bays, hazy coastlines and deeply etched coves - and of course, the ever present sea. Yet the playing conditions are pure links golf - tight-knit, quick-draining turf and smooth, fast runnung greens, with gorse and heather defining the fairways.

I'm not a golfer (I've occasionally hacked around) but I think the history of the course - and it's superb location - definitely need to be preserved

Very interesting post but I don't suppose any of that will stop the Planning Department giving him the go-ahead! "History, heritage, excellence - bah humbug" - quote Mr Ebernezer McCauley!

• 2 months later...
TF's post of Nov 7th may be answered next week when per the i/view on MR DomonicD says he's going to ask questions in Tynwald....

...as I've said....the time is quickly coming for developers with big ideas to put up or the money or go away....

Eh?

WTF, I just wish MCB would come out and overtly say what he/she is trying to get at in these posts! It really is very exasperating!

Mind you, if you just hint at something amiss, you can always keep hinting at something amiss when the news changes, because you have never said what the fuck you are talking about, so cannot be wrong!

Rant over, and now I'll go kick the elderly, conspiratorial cat!

WTF, I just wish MCB would come out and overtly say what he/she is trying to get at in these posts! It really is very exasperating!

Mind you, if you just hint at something amiss, you can always keep hinting at something amiss when the news changes, because you have never said what the fuck you are talking about, so cannot be wrong!

Rant over, and now I'll go kick the elderly, conspiratorial cat!

Well I sussed it he is saying that Dominic Delaney is going to ask in Tynwald why hasnt the new hotel at the airport been built and Developers should stop putting in plans for something and then not start to build it.

Archived