A Licence To Fish In The Sea

Rog

And if taken from nets to be gutted they are usually dead before the gutting takes place.
Totally disagree.

There really is no need for unnecessary cruelty in farming the the sea.

Totally agree.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On Countryfile last Sunday it said that Britain was going to ban the pair trawlers responsible for killing thousands of dolphins each year.

The labour fisheries minister said he would ask the EU to ban this type of fishing altogether and if they did not agree then Britain would take unilteral action and impose a ban within British territorial waters and enforce the ban via the navy.

He seems well up for protecting our marine mammals.

Must admit when people come out fishing on my boat it annoys me when they attempt to dispatch a fish with the daintiest tap to the top of its head, the sort that might give it a nasty headache but not much more.

I'm sure if it was them being 'whacked' they'd rather it was done in one neat, humane smack that pulps their head & instantly sends them to fishy heaven than being subjected to repeated hits of a slightly increasing pressure each time! Some people just haven't a clue!

I'm sure if it was them being 'whacked' they'd rather it was done in one neat, humane smack that pulps their head & instantly sends them to fishy heaven

I couldn't agree more. One quick whack with a hammer always seemed to work. We used to despatch crabs and lobsters with one hit as well whereas lots of people used to boil them alive because they just didn't know any better. Idiots.

I've heard it said that it's more humane with crabs & lobsters to just slowly heat the water up with them in it as the gradually warming water puts them to sleep so they don't know it when they're changing colour & bubbling away. No idea if that's true or bollox but never having cooked either of them I don't have to feel guilty about having done it wrong!

If you belt a fish on the head (usually with the 1/2" drive extension) and its eyes are subsequently an inch or so further apart or have popped out then you've done the job quickly & efFISHently*. I'm not exactly a fish hugging hippy but there's no point being cruel if you can avoid it.

* Sorry. I'll get me coat...

If you belt a fish on the head (usually with the 1/2" drive extension) and its eyes are subsequently an inch or so further apart or have popped out then you've done the job quickly & efFISHently*. I'm not exactly a fish hugging hippy but there's no point being cruel if you can avoid it.

* Sorry.  I'll get me coat...

Cringe meter off the scale!

My mate Yug had two ling both around 30 lbs off the Carrick the other week. So they're about.

Cringe meter off the scale!

My mate Yug had two ling both around 30 lbs off the Carrick the other week. So they're about.

Well it's not exactly an enjoyable thing but it needs doing properly.

30lbs? 30lbs?!

No way!! Grrr! That's my usual hunting ground for ling and I've not seen one since summer 02! Even then the biggest I've had has been an optimistic 5 or 6 lbs. Lucky bastad! :o

Still, I've always maintained I'm not very good at fishing, I just enjoy it & find it relaxing. Be nice to catch beasts like that though. :(

Is there much cod about these days?

No, not that I've heard off, most of them have been hoovered up by the large trawlers. Theres still the odd shoal about if you're lucky enough to find them, very few and far between though.

I've had a couple of ones of a few lbs this year - enough to provide a ruddy good meal but hardly the stuff of legend.

I think it's pretty much an endangered species now isn't it?

Be nice if people all had to catch their own fish when they want it instead of the seas being raped until there's nearly none left for any of us, except for vastly overpriced rubbish in the supermarkets.

:angry:

If we wanted Cod we would have to feather on the Warts. I guess the same is true today. The biggest Callig would come out from trolling around the Carrick. The Sound once held the British Waters Tope record. Peel once held the British Waters Mackeral record. They're about. You just have to get off your credentials and get out there....

As an aside. The biggest Conger I ever saw swam out of a rent in Port St Mary Albert pier that could only have had a foot or so of water over it at high tide. You can see the hole clearly from the lifeboat slip. We used to get them in holes on Black Rock while crabbing but (fortunately) nothing like that!

Not sure about the good spots for cod but for callig a good spot is off the stack at scarlett when there's a bit of a trench and another good spot is just between the flat rocks behind pt st m breaky and perwick. Never had a decent one around the carrick to be honest.

My brother & his mates have had tope off langness well over the record but they won't kill them & take them in (I wouldn't either) just to have your name somewhere for a bit.

Never actually seen a conger believe it or not. Except donkeys years back in the tanks at the marine bio station at pt erin when you could visit there.

Fishing is the bomb! Just like I say I'm not actually that good at it! :rolleyes:

The one and only conger i ever saw was the one that i half caught when i was fishing with my dad when i was about 10 or 11. I think the correct term is "i shat myself" and being a small child i had no clue what to do and just let the line out because i thought it was going to snap. He got into the rocks and that was the end of that, had to cut the line anyway :rolleyes:

Quite like fishing off scarlett, never done it off the stack though prefer to go further on and on the flatter rocks between the gullys and stuff, used to get a lot of callig out there and if you dropped the line in by the rocks you were pretty much guaranteed to get a bollan wrasse (or get the line caught :D) but last couple of years there's been very little. But i still go there because it's cool to just sit out there and not actually have to do anything ;)

Haven't caught a Ballan for years! Used to get some decent ones off the fishing rock at perwick, and round the coast a little from there. A 4lb ballan gives a ripper of a fight as I recall, although I was a fair bit younger last time that would have happened...

Haven't caught a Ballan for years!  Used to get some decent ones off the fishing rock at perwick, and round the coast a little from there.  A 4lb ballan gives a ripper of a fight as I recall, although I was a fair bit younger last time that would have happened...

I once seen a big wrasse on sale in the fish shop in Michael Street, Peel.

I am led to believe that they can only be oven cooked and their taste is not much any way.

However I understand that the throat bone of a wrasse is shaped like a cross and to keep on will save oneself from drowing at sea. An old Manx fisherman rumour.

BTW. In the Examiner I have read yesterday that this shop is closing down. That is a pity.

One of the last places to get fresh fish at reasonable prices.

Has anyone tasted Ling and how did you cook it?

Sorry to be off thread a bit. May be Rog has a recipe...

Archived