A Licence To Fish In The Sea

Rog

I once seen a big wrasse on sale in the  fish shop in Michael Street, Peel.

I am led to believe that they can only be oven cooked and their taste is not much any way.

However I understand that the throat bone of a wrasse is shaped like a cross and to keep on will save oneself from drowing at sea. An old Manx fisherman rumour.

BTW. In the Examiner I have read yesterday that this shop is closing down. That is a pity.

One of the last places to get fresh fish at reasonable prices.

Has anyone tasted Ling and how did you cook it?

Sorry to be off thread a bit. May be Rog has a recipe...

Yeah there's a few people in my family with Ballan's crosses as jewellery with silver round them, it's sort of like a big 3 legged tooth type thing they use to crush food with.

They aren't worth eating as they're tricky to prepare for cooking and taste of nothing.

Ling on the other hand is gorgeous and is just like cod, if not nicer still!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Be nice if people all had to catch their own fish when they want it instead of the seas being raped until there's nearly none left for any of us, except for vastly overpriced rubbish in the supermarkets.

Totally agree Cret, I've started to think like this about a lot of things, meat/veg and the like. The potatos are all rubbish and come ready chopped, home grown tommys taste great, Robinsons tomatoes taste of nothing! I'm quite into organic stuff but supermarkets and other mass buying groups really dont fool me. I happily buy spuds & free range eggs from the Manx farmers ranges and milk in bottles (recycleable). The butcher in Kirk Michael is good and sometimes Deveraux is good for fish. Does anyone know where you can get free range chickens? The £1.99 chickens in Safeways et al are only 6 weeks old and taste like water, that can't be right. Not to mention the effect mass farming/weed killers/pesticides has on the hedgeside wildlife.

Archived