Acoustic Bass Guitar?

Tango

I have an Eko acoustic bass - (fretless) - in need of repair.

Can anyone recommend someone here on the rock that will do a good job???

- I'm not sure if it's totally terminal or not, - it was leaning up against the wall and was knocked over - unfortunately the neck came off the body.

( it was only glued and it is a very clean break)

Would love to get this beastie back together & make some use of it again!!!

- As for trying to string a "normal" accoustic and turn it inta a "bass" - probably not a good idea - the bass strings are a lot thicker and I would imagine (if you could get them on at all) that you would probably warp the neck of the guitar.

Tango - no.

A bass guitar typically has a scale length (the distance between the bridge and the nut) of 34" where as a guitar typically has a scale length of between 24" and 26".

This will affect the tension of the strings you are using. If you use bass strings they would be so floppy tuned corrrectly that they would be buzzing all the time.

Also bass strings are a lot thicker than guitar strings (about 4 times thicker) so you would nee to reslot the nut and the bridge,

Matty - have a word with Peter Woodman (bass player with the Sweeny)

http://www.petewoodmanguitars.com/.

He should be able to fix your bass for you but I was only saying yesterday that I could do with a fretless acoustic bass by the way.. I have a Hohner fretted bass in perfect working order I could swap for the two bits of yours...

=^..^= - Many thanks for the link to Peter's site - he's got some lovely looking bits of kit there!

- Not sure about getting rid of my poor Eko - I would certainly like to get it repaired and see if I could "fall in love with it all over again" - if I can't - I probably would consider "letting her go"!!!!

- For a while after I'd first bought it, I used to call it the "turkey" - because having it sat on your lap & trying to get a decent tune out of it felt a bit like "strangling a turkey" - that reference has also been used regarding "illiam" or it is "illam" pipes????

As for now - I just want to get the beastie back to a good useable state of repair - but will give you first refusal if I ever want to let it go.

Thanks again for the link to Peter's site.

Archived