Drive By Shooting

FCMR

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Understood Cret, thanks for the reply. I didn't know there was such a scene, and understand there are more responsible people using them - then these dickheads who need teaching a lesson. Would be a good idea for some form of licensing though or at least you have to be a member of a recognised 'skirmish' club before purchase.

I certainly wouldn't object to that kind of thing. The problem with these 'toys' is that they are widely misunderstood by a lot of people which doesn't help the image people that get genuine sensible enjoyment from them are tarnished with.

I started the club here for it a few years ago and it's a very informal and quiet little setup, albeit with strict safety & common sense rules to avoid any problems. I handed over the club to someone else a while ago after realising I no longer had the time to enjoy the game frequently any more or to be fully involved in running it but I still like to keep an eye on things and ensure that it is running relatively smoothly & without aggro. The whole idea of the game is based on honesty (as you're not marked with paint) so the nature of it means the people taking part tend to be honest & well behaved in general.

Perhaps if they were faced with an armed response unit in their little black car, they might not think they are so clever.

I agree entirely. I think this is the problem that they behave dangerously/recklessly like this then nothing happens to them in terms of being properly punished so people continue to do it. Everyone with a brain knows in this day & age that you're pretty dim witted to wave around anything vaguely gun shaped in public but sadly some imbeciles still don't get it!

In fact Cret as punishment you could have your very own fenced off plantation were you and your mates have to hunt down these guys with BB guns. Let's say we give them a half hour head start? I'd pay to go. ;)

Already got our own private area away from the public for this. :)

I even approached the forrestry board a couple of years ago and got provisional permission to use public plantations subject to various rules & regs but didn't end up doing it in the end. I think we've been ok because we're fairly careful about who we invite to join up and don't have stuff in the high street that will attract just anyone along. There's a sort of probationary period too after joining to make sure newbies are well behaved and honest players.

If a government department are happy enough to support a sport like this then it's a good sign that banning them isn't the answer I hope, but it wouldn't surprise me if it happens at some stage.

:rolleyes:

Surely these days even rifle clubs could use some sort of safe laser gun as a replacement to guns with bullets. There's no need for them.

and snooker clubs could use computer screens and mice to save people being at risk of people with snooker cues,

the list is endless.

How are we going to dig holes without pick-axe handles though ?

I blame half of this type of thing on the Crap o sorry rap music scene.

I like a bit of hip hop... Plenty of it has an anti-violent message. It's just that the muppets at MTV don't play conscientious music just wanky gangster rap commercial bull shit.

Anyway I don't think that the IOM is going to become gun ridden. I suspect it's just some young idiots who need a slap...

In my day we used water ballons.

Theres an idiot driving about in a black clio (may look like a citroen saxo in the dark), He tears about on the quiet roads thinking he can drive (and he can't), Well if your are this guy and your reading this can i just say : Stop beeping your horn, Stop shooting at people and stop being a general twat!

Surely these days even rifle clubs could use some sort of safe laser gun as a replacement to guns with bullets. There's no need for them.

and snooker clubs could use computer screens and mice to save people being at risk of people with snooker cues,

the list is endless.

How are we going to dig holes without pick-axe handles though ?

I don't think any of those things are designed to make it easier to kill somebody, though. Do you see?

BB guns are not a problem i got shot by one by my brother and they don't really hurt...

Depends what kind of BB gun you're using. A CO2 one will hurt, that's for sure:

BB_Gun.3gp

Don't ask me why I actually bought it - I guess it was one of these things you see and think "Want one!", and when you come home and had a play with it, you're asking yourself why you actually got it in the first place..

To make that little clip was the first time in ages that I've actually used it, and needless to say that it has never left the house or been taken into a public place / fired at a person or anything.

We used to aim at a little Schweppes can, suspended on a piece of string in a tree in my garden during BBQs and Parties in the summer - call it "boys toys" or something, but it was good fun. We all were sober enough to do so and treated that thing with a lot of respect, though...

Firing at a person like the people in that report did should be treated as "Assault with a deadly weapon", like the yanks do it - lock'em up!

Shooting someone with a co2 powered gun would be a very serious offence as the power they produce makes them classified as a "lethal barreled weapon", like an air rifle. Most BB guns come under the class of Airsoft guns which fire 6mm plastic BBs rather than 4.5mm metal ones, and these plastic BB ones are sold at a power level that legally means they're toys.

As far as I know CO2 guns were never made 'off ticket' over here (I could be mistaken). They were alsways classified as firearms and needed a firearms certificate both here & in the UK due to some daft loophole, but were deregulated in the UK several years ago so you need no license to own them. I never heard of them being re-classed over here though. I'd be interested to see manx law that states otherwise too as they're being sold readily.

I live in Ballasalla and was quite shocked to find out about this, as I was off the Island at my girl friends.

This is how it all starts, those BB guns, them some idiot gets the idea to use a real one, it is really just a matter of time now.

They should just ban the sale of them, as all it would have took is for that shot to go wrong and hit that girl in the eye.

There is CCTV at the traffic lights, but knowing the rubbish Police force and cheap IOM GOV, they most prob don't work.

Theres been abit of trouble brewing up again there, as a few weeks ago we had the dogs in the garden ( 2 boxer dogs, worth around £1200 ) and some little shite went and opened the gate.

Luckily the dogs only went to the football field and were found pretty quick.

Then there was all the damage up Silverdale, which is pretty shocking in its self.

I know a shop in Douglas that does a fantastic range of BB Guns! The guys make sure everyone is given a safety brief, only over 18 year olds can purchase and they state in no uncertain terms what will happen to you if you abuse the guidelines. It's not the gun it's the idiots that buy them.

Shooting someone with a co2 powered gun would be a very serious offence as the power they produce makes them classified as a "lethal barreled weapon", like an air rifle. Most BB guns come under the class of Airsoft guns which fire 6mm plastic BBs rather than 4.5mm metal ones, and these plastic BB ones are sold at a power level that legally means they're toys.

As far as I know CO2 guns were never made 'off ticket' over here (I could be mistaken). They were alsways classified as firearms and needed a firearms certificate both here & in the UK due to some daft loophole, but were deregulated in the UK several years ago so you need no license to own them. I never heard of them being re-classed over here though. I'd be interested to see manx law that states otherwise too as they're being sold readily.

Would really be interesting to know how legal they are over here - what's the best place to find out? Should the police know things like this? If they aren't really legal, then I'm gonna get rid of it, obviously, but - as you said - they're still being sold on the high street as we speak...

Archived