Driving On The Mountain Road

the-rhymes

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's also worthy of note that by driving at 80 over the mountain as opposed to 60 you save yourself a whole 3 minutes...

Some people enjoy driving fast for fun, not the time saved.

You want to drive for fun, get a licence and go to Jurby racetrack.

It's also worthy of note that by driving at 80 over the mountain as opposed to 60 you save yourself a whole 3 minutes...

One day every three months when the weather may be unsuitable.

Just because someone drives fast doesn't make it unsafe, I would only drive as conditions / vehicle allow.

That's another thing, should an MOT be introduced over here to make the cars safer? I've seen some right bangers driving about that I wouldn't fancy doing 20MPH in.

Its not just the mountain road thats unsafe, the Castletown road is like a race track in the mornings. This morning on the way from the airport to Douglas two cars overtook us at great speed just by the old pub, the weather was shit and one of the cars had an R plate displayed, and i would say they would of being at least 70mph

Loads of people drive for fun, including every biker who goes 'round the course on a Sunday. Want to outlaw fun now do we?

Mr S - play point scoring all you like, but do you not notice that in a 30mph limit the slowest drivers are those doing 30? No-one does less. People feel they should travel at the limit, it's quite simple. I'm not saying it's right, but it happens.

Mr S - play point scoring all you like, but do you not notice that in a 30mph limit the slowest drivers are those doing 30? No-one does less. People feel they should travel at the limit, it's quite simple. I'm not saying it's right, but it happens.

I believe you would fail your driving test if you didn't go at the speed limit, unless there was a reason.

That was not quite the point I intended, more that the desire to go faster than the guy in front causes people to take risks. If they were not permitted to go faster than the guy in front fewer people would take risks to get past them.

I've not got a problem with people driving fast on a clear road, but I do have a problem with people trying to beat the guy in front for negligable effect, just to get stuck behind the next person, and then the next. It's a lot of risk for virtually no gain. Maybe some flexible speed restrictions (similar to the light up "school zones") based on how busy the road is would be a better idea for all the petrol heads?

It's the pure stupidity of some drivers that pisses me off. Take this for example:

When I was on my way home to Ramsey last night I thought I'd go the Tholty route so I could make a passing visit at me mum and dad on the way. Anyways, I always take the same route onto the mountain via Governors Hill. As I was travelling down towards the Mtn Rd, in what can only be called atrocious weather, I wen't past the junction to Johnny Watersons Lane and around the corner. Seen the Warning sign flashing so I took a quick glance at it,as you do, and then looked ahead of me again.

What did I see? Some fucktard doing a 3 point turn in the middle of the road after obviously reading they couldn't get bast the Bugalow.

I mean visibilty was bad enough due to the weather and the fact it was dark, if it wasn't for the fact I'm fairly on the ball I'd probably have straight into the side of him.

It's not a speed limit we need, it's a common sense test!

Oh and if it was you driving that Red Mk3 Golf, well done, you're a fucking retard.

I believe you would fail your driving test if you didn't go at the speed limit, unless there was a reason.

If you consistently drive at a speed a great deal slower than the limit AND cause a hold up then you CAN fail for not making progess or something like that. It doesn't mean you have to do 30 bang on the dot at every possible opportunity.

I think the point scoring began with the 'brains' dig. But you're right, people generally drive at 10mph above the speed limit. The police know this, and the government know this. They won't admit it, but it's accounted for when they decide what speed limit to put in place. That's why you don't get done for speeding unless you're 15 over the limit (generally).

But limit or no limit, I rarely go above 60 over the mountain, and a sign saying "70" won't change that.

But limit or no limit, I rarely go above 60 over the mountain, and a sign saying "70" won't change that.

Me either. And even less if I have my kids in the car. Just don't see the need.

The real problem is the volume of traffic on the roads at peak times, every one trying to get to the same place for the same time and this cant work. 9am start at work seems to be the norm for most working in Douglas and on top of this you have the school runs at the same time. Would it not be a good idea fro employers to change the working hours for some, early start early finish, this may reduce the peak hour traffic and alow it to move at a smoother pace

The real problem is the volume of traffic on the roads at peak times, every one trying to get to the same place for the same time and this cant work. 9am start at work seems to be the norm for most working in Douglas and on top of this you have the school runs at the same time. Would it not be a good idea fro employers to change the working hours for some, early start early finish, this may reduce the peak hour traffic and alow it to move at a smoother pace

You couldn't start early if you had kids, as you've got to get them to school first. Also, who want's to be working late at this time of year?

Archived