Driving On The Mountain Road

the-rhymes

IMHO the lack of speed limits on some manx road(especially the mountain road) + the tt + the general opinion of most people that the IOM is "The road racing capital of the world" all breeds irresponsible(sp?) driving.

Also lets not forget the driving age of 16, that also has to be a factor.

16 is simply to young to start drivng, especially in the IOM due to the points i raised above.

A national speed limit on the IOM is well overdue and those who think it will have no effect are very short sighted, im not saying its gonna cut out fatal accidents altogether but to say it wil have NO effect is absurd.

People mention driver education . what do u mean by driver education??? how can u educate people who dont want to learn??

The best education i had in respect to driving when i was growing up+ learning to drive was learning that the national speed limit was 60 mph(or 70 on motorways). Thats something that the iom government need to aim for, that the next generation grow up knowing that the white sign with the black line means u have to stick to a speed limit, not, as it is at the moment a sign to put ur foot to the floor and chuck the highway code out the window!!!!!!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
what do u mean by driver education??? how can u educate people who dont want to learn??

Shock tactics - put the remains of a crashed car in the middle of strand street, together with pictures from the incident - most people will only understand when they see the twisted metal, not when they hear about "another accident"..

I know a guy who used to be on call to collect dead bodies (he might still do it actually). He's a retired policman, and he once pointed out the place that he's collected the most bodies from. A corner on the Groudle road. I've always been especially careful when approaching that corner ever since. As macabre as it is, pointing these things out to people is a good idea.

what do u mean by driver education??? how can u educate people who dont want to learn??

Shock tactics - put the remains of a crashed car in the middle of strand street, together with pictures from the incident - most people will only understand when they see the twisted metal, not when they hear about "another accident"..

You and i know that that isnt gonna happen.

And to be honest, if i were to see somethign like that, even if it was at the scene i dont think it would effect the way i drive(easy to say that till ur in the thick of it).

There is absolutely nothing that will "educate" drivers in regards to how they drive except growing up knowing there are speed limits!!!!!!

I feel that sadly a speed limit would make little difference as we still have incidents on roads with existing speed limits and there are always the ones who will pay little regaurd and break it. In fact adding a speed limit would create a bigger risk as the ones who have no respect for speed limits will then have more cause to overtake which 9 times out of ten seems to be the cause or near cause of an incident. How often I have grimaced watching an idiot overtake when he simply can not see what is coming. I myself drive at typically at what can be a good pace, but i will slow down to the corners where the road ahead is blind and you anticipate the oncoming idiot who may be cornering wide, but once passing these bends to increase your speed on the open road offers less risk and frustration to other road users. By slowing everything down you are merely going to cause more frustration and more lunacy, Its education again that needs to be offered, as well as the addition of skid pan training in the basic test, so many people panic when in a skid, or do not tolerate what speed is acceptable on bends, maybe to introduce a system like in New Zealand, where I sm told the bends have a reccommended speed guidance on them, anything more than that is dangerous, this could help people losing control. As for the fools who seem to think their car can overtake 6 cars and tuck back in at the head of the queue before you reach Guthreys, I suggest that their registration is noted and when they next call at a local supermarket, they should be given the trolley with all four dodgey whells that do not wish to head in the right direction, then they can see just how dangerous it is when you lose control....

maybe to introduce a system like in New Zealand, where I sm told the bends have a reccommended speed guidance on them, anything more than that is dangerous

Similar system in parts of the USA. I'd see a speed limit sign of 60mph and then 10 yards later they'd be a different sign before a bend for 40mph. Took me a little while to suss out that the second sign was just for that bend.

I was driving across recently, the flow of traffic on the motorway was travelling at between 80 and 90 mph, so you go with the flow, but hang on isn’t the limit 70mph?

Ah, the "go with the flow" idea. I often do that as well. On the same driving holiday I had a load of cars and big trucks up my arse so I went with the flow - which meant doing between 100 - 110 mph. I figured it was slightly safer than being a mobile traffic jam on the freeway by sticking to the limit

maybe to introduce a system like in New Zealand, where I sm told the bends have a reccommended speed guidance on them, anything more than that is dangerous

Similar system in parts of the USA. I'd see a speed limit sign of 60mph and then 10 yards later they'd be a different sign before a bend for 40mph. Took me a little while to suss out that the second sign was just for that bend.

Surely the safe speed of a corner depends on a car.

And don't get us started on Americans and corners, they wouldn't know what to do with a corner if it bit them in the arse.

And don't get us started on Americans and corners, they wouldn't know what to do with a corner if it bit them in the arse.

And what car would that be? My safe speed depends on the road conditions, speed limits, visibility and other circumstances..

I give you the bit about Americans, though - Yank Tanks don't do corners - they just...don't

post-1086-1131531679_thumb.jpg

That's the sort of thing a boy-racer (who thinks his suped-up Clio is better than the average Clio) would say.

Are you trying to tell me that some Mark 1 fiesta can safely corner better than say a BMW M3? Tosh.

Yes, conditions are dependant but then the signs/speed limits for corners wouldn't change with conditions would they.

And what car would that be? My safe speed depends on the road conditions, speed limits, visibility and other circumstances..

I was right behind a fatal RTA about 3 years ago, literally right behind and made avoiding manouvers to miss her car. Part of my statement in court was that she was driving too fast for the conditions and that her car and its thin wheels were just not providing the grip in those conditions. Why is that? Because some cars are built to handle better than others, by using better suspension, tyres and traction control. So yes, the safe speed of a corner does depend on the model of the car.

In this instance however, I said in my statement, that I would have not even attempted to take this particular corner at the speed she was travelling at.

I don't condone it, but you can't just dismiss this and most cars that handle really well are out of the league of the Clio/Saxo brigade.

Archived