Driving On The Mountain Road

the-rhymes

speeding was not a factor with the accident in question,

speed has very little to do with most accidents, they are caused by driver error.

Speed may very well have little to do with the cause of the accident, but it is a major factor in the outcome of an accident.

A persons reactions are pretty much the same whatever speed they are driving at. In the event of "driver error" or whatever the actual catalyst for an accident is, it is pretty obvious that the faster you are going the less time you have to do something about it and the more severe the impact will be.

I wrote off my first car by putting it through a hedge into a field on it's roof. I had misjudged a corner and took it too close to the bank. If I hadn't been going so damn fast I would have had time to correct this bit of driver error and I wouldn't have nearly killed myself.

I think there's too many people here with tunnel vision in regard to road speeds. We must look at the whole picture. Just saying that the accident was caused by someone not paying enough attention or something and therefore speed wasn't an issue is frankly blinkered to say the least. Every aspect of the motion of a car and the actions or inactions of the driver are relevent in the cause and outcome of an accident including the speed.

I'd better add as well that I don't personally want to see a speed limit imposed, but I do think we need one.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived