Crown Dependency

cheesemonster2005

Can anyone tell me what the difference between a crown dependency and a dependency is?

I had always thought that an ordinary dependency was more independent than us crown dependencies. However, after reading some information about offshore tax havens (http://risad.com/cayman_islands.htm) I saw that for Cayman, which is a mere dependency, the UK is responsible for defence, foreign affairs AND general civil order which is different to Mann. Is the UK responsible for civil order too on Mann?

As far as I'm aware a crown dependency is under the Royal Perogative, it could be totally independent of the UK. Its a bit like the Queen being the head of state of both the UK and Canada, it doesn't mean the UK and Canadian governments are linked, they both link into the Queen (oh er) as their head of state. With the Isle of Man the Queen has delegated some of her powers to the Privy Counsel / Council (?) which has historically become a part of the the UK government and hence created the constitutional link between the UK and the IOM.

A dependency directly links into the UK government; its entire constutionality comes from its relation with the UK. The IOM doesn't: its constitutionality comes from the Royal Perogative, some of which has been delegated to the UK ... sort of!

Am I making sense? Doubt it ... plus I picked this up in the pub talking to a drunk lawyer so who knows!

As far as I'm aware a crown dependency is under the Royal Perogative, it could be totally independent of the UK. Its a bit like the Queen being the head of state of both the UK and Canada, it doesn't mean the UK and Canadian governments are linked, they both link into the Queen (oh er) as their head of state. With the Isle of Man the Queen has delegated some of her powers to the Privy Counsel / Council (?) which has historically become a part of the the UK government and hence created the constitutional link between the UK and the IOM.

A dependency directly links into the UK government; its entire constutionality comes from its relation with the UK. The IOM doesn't: its constitutionality comes from the Royal Perogative, some of which has been delegated to the UK ... sort of!

Am I making sense? Doubt it ... plus I picked this up in the pub talking to a drunk lawyer so who knows!

It seems to make sense. As much as any political stuff would. It seems, unless I've had too many cans of Zubr tonight, that that means Mann is in some ways more independent than the likes of Gibraltar and Turks for example. They're connected with the UK Government and we're connected (god forbid) which HRH Lord of Mann.

I've had too many cans of Zubr tonight,

You sick minger :o What made you drink that? Get some Zywiec Porter down your throat there yessir :)

I prefer me Zubr so I can feel good about helping those poor bison. The money I spend on my tinnies of beer does go to those poor animals doesn't it?

The island should set up a Manx Cat beer so people can fund the moggies while getting pissed.

Archived