Another Exampleof The Government Failing Vulnerable People

lfc84

http://www.iomonline.co.im/ViewArticle2.as...ticleID=1251726

quote from Moyle " 'I am told everything in the garden regarding drugs is rosy. That is not how I see it. I feel we are failing people like you, but I will give you one final chance. "

At least Moyle has finally seen that jailing drug addicts is pointless. Why doesn't the island have the beds and help necessary for these people?

What?

Tax payer paying for peoples self inflicted drug rehabilitation treatment?

Makes great sense.......not !

Does it make more sense to bang ‘em up with all the costs THAT involves and then let ‘em out to get into crime again?

I’ll need that explaining to me.

What?

Tax payer paying for peoples self inflicted drug rehabilitation treatment?

Makes great sense.......not !

That's how many things work. The taxpayer pays for treatment for people with (often) self-inflicted diseases (cancer, heart disease). They pay for people to be treated after injuries playing sport, driving too fast, etc. Treatment is offered for people with alcohol and cigarette addictions also. Would you rather hard drug addicts continued to rob for their habit once released without the opportunity of treatment?

They pay for people to be treated after injuries playing sport, driving too fast, etc. Treatment is offered for people with alcohol and cigarette addictions also.

Rightly or wrongly, those activities are legal. Hard drug abuse is.... not legal.

Sorry, I'd rather my tax dollars went towards helping people who aren't hopless junkies.

They pay for people to be treated after injuries playing sport, driving too fast, etc. Treatment is offered for people with alcohol and cigarette addictions also.

Rightly or wrongly, those activities are legal. Hard drug abuse is.... not legal.

Sorry, I'd rather my tax dollars went towards helping people who aren't hopless junkies.

that just about sums up society here doesnt it - "sod those who NEED help, im alright jack"

for whatever reason this indivdual (and others - like the homeless) need help on this island. society here and the government dont really give a stuff about them.

i am not stating that people who are on drugs should be nannied by the state despite breaking the law but it is in the interests of mainstream society that people with social problems get help.

when the people the law or do desperate things in order for them to take drugs or find somewhere to sleep or get some food, the society that fails to help these people and bring them back on the straight and narrow only has itself to blame.

I have to say, raiding the flat of a small-time junky is hardly cost-effective or addressing the issues.

Only improving crime solving stats I imagine.

Surely helping addicts kick the habit (reducing thefts, muggings,etc) coupled with a hardline effort by the police to target the top end suppliers is the answer - not dramatic drug busts at the homes of known addicts.

someone who taps the vein, who has made that decision to inject filth into their bloodstream, to become less than human, to soil themselves on a regular basis, to lie and steal, to forget what it is to actually live in the real world, someone who thinks their problems are so great that they deserve help over those people who genuinely do have the odds stacked against them, those people?

let them rot in the gutter. they arent worth the money spent on them.

someone who taps the vein, who has made that decision to inject filth into their bloodstream, to become less than human, to soil themselves on a regular basis, to lie and steal, to forget what it is to actually live in the real world, someone who thinks their problems are so great that they deserve help over those people who genuinely do have the odds stacked against them, those people?

whilst they are rotting in the gutter it will be you and your family that they might mug and rob from.

whilst i totally abhore taking heroin and coke people need asistance to break the habit in order to ensure that they themselves do not commit further crime against others in our society.

In life everyone makes mistakes. Taking heroin just once is a mistake but because the drug is addictive physically and psychologically one mistake can ruin your life.

This is no different from other problems in society and needs to be dealt with as such and not by the traditional Manx way of imprisonment.

While they're in the gutter they'll be robbing your family, destroying your neighbourhood or using your tax dollars whilst in prison. Give them help and maybe they can start to contribute to society like yourself.

Archived