Modern Medicines

Mortal Wombat

I'm taking some tablets. Oh yes. I am. *nods*

After taking the first one i decided to read the 'information leaflet' that accompanied it.

Usual stuff. Take with food. Do not poke in your ear or your rear or someone elses ear or rear even if they are being quite persuasive about it. May cause topical epidermal necrolysis.

Fine. So they may turn me into a zombie. I can probably live with that. (no pun intended)

Then i read this bit: 'There have also been some reports of dizziness, loss of bearings, 'ringing' in the ears, difficulty sleeping, hallucinations (seeing things), bad dreams, confusion, change in sense of reality and panicking. These effects are usually short lived and soon disappear.'

'change in sense of reality' - exactly what do they mean by that? am i going to spend the next 7 days on the friggin holodeck saving the world from a race of fluffy green aliens with massive elbows? Is captain kremmen going to descend upon me wearing nothing but a pair of chocolate underpants? Perhaps he's already here. How would i know? He might knock any second. When will i know it's all nack to normal? - Perhaps it never will be.

Has anyone had these kind of bizarre side effects? Do you still belive you live on planet Ylang Ylang (a fragrant and peaceful planet just north of Belgium) Because i've taken a few drugs in my time and my bottom has never changed colour, seperated from my body and made interesting conversation with me nor do i now believe i am the son of God - I know i am.*

anyone?

*Lord do not avenge my blasphemy i am but a feeble soul and this note is here to say alas, i am not your son, nor do i claim to be so, unless i am of course, though i doubt it.

i was on some medication once and it said the same thing but i kept getting this 'buzzing' through my body for a second at a time, like imagine when you get small static shocks but it was like all through my body, and i would be walking feeling like i was on a slant and looking through a window. But that was nothing compared to this time in highschool when we were doing weed and i thought i was dying so i rang myself and ambulance :D

When I was pregnant with first baby, I had extremely bad morning sickness (I was throwing up from morning 'till night every day) so doctor gave me some tablets to help stop the sickness. They stopped the sickness OK, but the side affects were awful.

All my muscles kept going into spasm so my eyes were rolling back; my neck was twisting round, with my back arching right back and jaw locked up. (Husband said I looked like something from the Exorcist). Luckily enough the spasms lasted for just a minute or so at a time, because when they come on did it also meant I couldn’t breathe which was terrifying. I ended up in Emergency and had to be given an antidote and kept in over night. Lukily it didn't have any affect on baby. It was a horrible and very scary experience, which has put me off taking any new medication. (I also have allergies to 3 different antibiotics).

I'm on a few different medications. Most of the side effects are pretty unpleasant from swollen face to osteoporosis, hives swellings under teh skin, mood swings rashes, thinning of the skin!!

Most of the physical ones are reasonable to cope with - not sure what thinning of the skin is and whether the 1st thing I notice will be some kind of intestine hanging loose.

The mood swings are the buggers though - for 2 hours after I take the meds (1st thing in the morning) I am really short tempered and aggressive compared to my usual calm temperment. I really have to just leave the room at home sometimes. I know when I've forgotten to take my meds becasue I feel happy and calm over breakfast - sometimes (usually sunday) I take them late and have a chilled breakfast.

I was once prescribed some that made my legs glow bright reddy/orange - that was a shock to discover at 3 in the morning - the mists of sleep cleared when I was on the bog to see these bright red legs - I realised they were attached to my body and some passing burms victim ( my legs are usually that grey/blue colour) - paniced and phoned manndoc -he asked about the meds then told me to stop taking them and speak to my consultant asap

I suppose what I'm saying in a long winded way is you have to make a decision at some point - Take the meds and manage the side effects or if the side effects are worse thatn the original condition leave the meds behind. Myself I hate being on up to 12 tablets of differnt sorts every day however they keep alive and enable me to function as a reasonable normal person. If I stopped I suppose I would be extreamly ill or worse and I couldn't do that to my family or to me.

god what a miserable post

The drug people are obliged to put any reported side effects on the box - no matter how tenuous/stupid. So if you have a banging headache, you can take 2 ibuprofen and half an hour later if it hasn't shifted you could report it as causing a headache - and on the box it goes! 'may cause headaches'...

Most of the physical ones are reasonable to cope with - not sure what thinning of the skin is and whether the 1st thing I notice will be some kind of intestine hanging loose.

One of the treatments I was given for psoriasis many years ago was a very powerful steroid ointment. At the time, the 'thinning of the skin' consequences hadn't really been observed and, through overuse of it (because it did ease the irritation etc) I suffered the results on some parts of the body.

Basically, it destroys some of the epidermal layers beneath the skin and leaves it looking like the kind of 'stretch marks' some women have after pregnancy.

I still use a much less powerful ointment - you can even ask your doctor for half-strength and the pharmacist will mix it with vaseline - and use it very sparingly.

One of the treatments I was given for psoriasis many years ago was a very powerful steroid ointment. At the time, the 'thinning of the skin' consequences hadn't really been observed and, through overuse of it (because it did ease the irritation etc) I suffered the results on some parts of the body.

Basically, it destroys some of the epidermal layers beneath the skin and leaves it looking like the kind of 'stretch marks' some women have after pregnancy.

I still use a much less powerful ointment - you can even ask your doctor for half-strength and the pharmacist will mix it with vaseline - and use it very sparingly.

With many skin conditions it is really a matter of trial and error. The patient knows best not the health professional. The pharmacist will mix the steroid with other bases such as aqueous cream apart from vaseline which is very greasy and not always cosmetically acceptable. Of course if the emollient effect is what you want vaseline is the best.

Oral Retinoid drugs for some skin conditions can have the most horrendous side effects such as increases in cholestrol levels, thinning of the skin, changes in liver function. etc. So it is best in my view to stick with creams, ointments and only go to oral medicine when very closely supervised. Ointments/creams are really the only way as many skin problems tend to be long term whereas oral medicine with these types o side effects can only be used for relatively short periods with breaks before recommencing again.

Apart from medicine some have had benefits from hypnosis.

My ex suffered from psoriasis and was prescribed steroid ointment to be made up by the pharmacist. After several years, he went to his doctor for a repeat prescription to be asked "You're not still on that are you?" When he stopped using it, we both lost weight. Is it possible that the steroids in his ointment were rubbing off on the sheets etc. and causing me to put on weight also, which I then lost (as did he) when he stopped using it?

Archived