Top Gear

Mission

Yea, really good for the Island.

Effing and blinding before the watershed.

Practically every shot wreathed in rain and mist, and most of them in a torrential downpour.

The only building seen was a derelict ruin -

A few sheep shots, mist and barren hills

And a few cheap shots

The weather was not their fault, but that is the image beamed to about 5 millions homes

Be objective - that was not good.

Sounds like a typical biker comment to me!? Maybe if you werent such a bitter litte biker people would believe you were truly being objective.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought it was quite funny how they bleeped out all the 'shit' words but didn't blank or hide the hands of the guy signing. Clearly "shit" is only offensive to people who can hear !

Somehow I doubt the BBC switchboard would be jammed with complaints though.

I thought it was quite funny how they bleeped out all the 'shit' words but didn't blank or hide the hands of the guy signing. Clearly "shit" is only offensive to people who can hear !

Somehow I doubt the BBC switchboard would be jammed with complaints though.

Very good point, actually - according to the RNID, there are 9 million deaf and hard of hearing people in the UK - some must have been offended, maybe, possibly...

• 2 weeks later...

Top Gear is a great show and I am by no means a petrol head. I used to watch it when Tiff Needell presented and although it was still good entertainment for the non-car type it is so good it now required Sunday viewing.

The road test tonight was wonderful, seeing those very expensive cars being grounded on the way out of the Paris car park by the aficionados made me chuckle.

However, I was somewhat perturbed by the reference to short pants by the tooth-whitened Hamster!

I sometimes wonder just who the programme content is aimed at, the cars they seem to be fixated on cost many times the avarage house prices, and are totally out of reach for 99% of the country (unless you happen to be a tv presenter, and even then you can't afford the petrol !).

I think something that more people can relate to would be an idea, the celebs driving the timed lap are fun, but items like when they used to go and stand on a corner on the Monte Carlo Rally would be interesting.

Maybe they could go and look what people actually 'do' with cars, like circuit racing, rallying, marshalling, auto-tests, 4x4 rallies, hill climbs etc.

(I wonder if the GT40 is now old enough to be licence-fee exempt ?)

(I wonder if the GT40 is now old enough to be licence-fee exempt ?)

Clarkson's GT40 is one of the new ones, they're a bit higher than 40" and he can fit in it unlike the original ones

It's the same car he rejected at first due to so many faults. Ford must have fixed it and sold it back to him

Tempus Fugit

I sometimes wonder just who the programme content is aimed at, the cars they seem to be fixated on cost many times the avarage house prices, and are totally out of reach for 99% of the country (unless you happen to be a tv presenter, and even then you can't afford the petrol !).

post-1037-1133189702_thumb.jpg

How about getting Clarkson & Co to test something like this? (Only seriously sad people will be able to identify it!)

Tempus Fugit

post-1037-1133189702_thumb.jpg

How about getting Clarkson & Co to test something like this? (Only seriously sad people will be able to identify it!)

a scooter with 4 wheels ? :lol:

(won't give the game away, ~ took a bit of finding !)

I think something that more people can relate to would be an idea...

In a previous life in advertising and marketing, I was once asked by a client to come up with a glossy brochure for a new skin care product range. We looked at the target market, and selected a few likely model shots - all attractive women, but 'real people'.

The client threw the concept out the minute he saw it. "People don't want to see themselves as they ARE, they want to see what they can ASPIRE to, however impossible that may be".

Was a good lesson...and I think Top Gear works on a similar principle. We all KNOW what a Ford or Vauxhall cooking saloon will be like, because that's what we drive. Most of us will NEVER have the keys to a Ferrari, but we can dream.

Archived