Bread

Nunderweiza

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why is bread so expensive on the island?. £1.10 for a loaf of bread is daylight robbery when on the mainland the average cost for a loaf is 40p - 60p. Yet again island residence are getting stuffed.

40 -60 p per loaf is too cheap - what you get is spongy crap. The farmers and the flour producers loose out to the larger bakeries/supermarkets - they have to supply to a price not a quality. Supermarkets loose money on their bread (at least they do in the UK).

Why should tesco give its bread away over here they have precious little competition

1.10 per loaf is probably a realistic amount - what I do object to is the 1.10 loaf of bread that is pre-staled or long life, pumped full of preservatives and additives.

I usually make my own bread - mostly because I like it but also because the preservative in usualy bread gives me acid indigestion.

When I can't be bothered making my own bread its got to be Pat-a-cake loaf of granary or white or any of the bread from muffins in peel, Not sure exactly on the price - somewhere in the £1 region. It goes stale in a day is good for toast for 3 days then goes unusable. These places are making their own bread, probably using manx flour and doing it fantastically.

I would support Ramsey bakery but they seem to try and copy the big cheap sponge loaf bakeries from the uk but obviously can't compete on price

Jesus what a dull bugger I am, writing this much about bread

Why is bread so expensive on the island?. £1.10 for a loaf of bread is daylight robbery when on the mainland the average cost for a loaf is 40p - 60p. Yet again island residence are getting stuffed.

Is that really the price of bread on the island? Can't ever remember buying any when I've been there. Always remember paying about 8p or 10p for the standard stuff from Sainsbury or Asdsa. It isn't the best and has lots of preservatives but that's better than me buying a loaf , eating half and having to throw the rest away cus it's gone off.

Here in Poland bread costs me about 30-40p which was more than in the UK but it's better quality.

Bead price is fixed by the grain producer [farmers]. miller [ IOM govt] and main producer [ Ramsey Bakery]

It is set to the level they think they can get away with without problems from the locals.

If the manufactures were allowed to produce with the cheaper flour available on the international market, you would see a marked reduction in bread cost. For the IOM, home produced food need not be high quality, just high priced.

Wasn't there a thing a few years ago, where an outside company tried to import frozen bread from the UK, which would have been cheaper ? If I remember it right, a certain company over here kicked off about it - "Destroys local economy" and all that, so it didn't work out.

Strange, the local economy bit - I'm not sure all flour used in Ramsey is from the Island. Different rules for different people...

Archived