Abbey National

crumlin

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This post has made my day, i was told today that it was NationWide closing up. and I needed to cash a cheque with them. & oo I still can . Nice one.

Possibly because the way it was reported, something like "Abbey are consolidating with nationwide redundancies". I did wonder for a second if Nationwide was part of Abbey

Hang on a sec. So do you reckon that the Abbey news has got something to do with postage cost? Or VAT? The Jersey question and BBC interview related to UK based mail order companies using Jersey to dodge VAT IIRC. Didn't it? Please correct me if I'm wrong. Tesco isn't doing that is it? Tesco isn't using Jersey as a way of dodging VAT. Is it?

Are you possibly confusing issues PK? Has this actually got anything to do with that BBC item? I can't see the connection. But I'm open minded and prepared to see the connection if I've missed it.

How is the Abbey issue connected with the question which was raised last summer by BBC business? And how does the stamp on a Tesco mailing relate to that same story? Is Tesco using the "tax loophole" which was the subject of the story? If not - then what are you trying to say?

Meanwhile - other companies with offices in the Channel Islands and the IOM have previously chosen to consolidate their offshore (ex UK) business on the IOM - causing offices in the Channel Islands to close.

I'm sorry but it appealed to my sense of humour that you believed the Jersey Senator was adamant that they would close down the Tesco operation and I thought "What a load of total BS". Lo and behold six months later and it's still up and running.

As Euroland tightens it's grip I'm sure there will be lots of financial houses wondering if the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man is the best place to "consolidate" their operation i.e. which will be best at dodging the inevitable EU Legislation. Hopefully it will be Mannin just as long as those in power can lie through their teeth to the BBC as per Jersey Senators above. Errrr.... wait a minute!

You're right and I'm wrong. Tesco are still selling cheap VAT free CDs from Jersey.

"individually dispatched".

EDIT: however according to http://www.out-law.com/page-6320 (for example)

The loophole is the result of European rules that allow companies based outside the EU (including the Channel Islands) to supply goods direct to customers within Europe free of VAT, provided they cost less than £18.

So maybe really a matter for the EU and or the UK Chancellor.

cheesemonster2005 and Princey

Nationwide International aint goin' no where! Nationwide have been on the Island since the 80s.

NIL don't offer the Society's product range but have an agency branch with full product information.

NIL themselves concentrate on offshore savings, as do all the offshore building society subsids.

What makes NIL different is the rate, the products, the services - you wanna get yourselves a nice Base Rate Tracker account.

http://www.nationwideinternational.com

As for the Society's products, I got a great deal on their car insurance last month (and not for brand new customers only!)

http://www.nationwide.co.uk

Just to get back on thread for a moment - no matter how much Abbey National may say that they'll do everything they can to help their staff to find new employment (and it is good that they're offering the same redundancy package that's available elsewhere in the UK) - the timing of the announcement, just a few weeks before Christmas, is terrible. The stress that this puts on people who may have mortgages to pay, kids Christmas presents to sort out, and so on, must be terrible.

Personally, I hope all local residents withdraw any funds they may have with Scabby National to let them know what we think of their corporate conscience.

Just to get back on thread for a moment - no matter how much Abbey National may say that they'll do everything they can to help their staff to find new employment (and it is good that they're offering the same redundancy package that's available elsewhere in the UK) - the timing of the announcement, just a few weeks before Christmas, is terrible. The stress that this puts on people who may have mortgages to pay, kids Christmas presents to sort out, and so on, must be terrible.

Personally, I hope all local residents withdraw any funds they may have with Scabby National to let them know what we think of their corporate conscience.

Yes, it's important that Manx people pull their money out of Scabby National and any other institution which treats their staff in this way. Sacking staff before Christmas is tasteless. The IOM Government could offer better support than was quoted on IOM Online. That comment was disgraceful.

Archived