Isle Of Man Steam Racket

Bill Posters

Am I missing your point??

I think I know what your on about. The Super seacat isn't designed to sail in the Irish sea during the winter. It can go fast but it can't handle rough weather. I'm sure you people out there, who have been on the seacat during rough weather will agree. It's one bumpy ride. So no wonder the Heysham route is doing well. No one wants to go to L'pool on a vessel like that. It would be doing better than the Heysham route if a conventional vessel was being used. :o

I think I know what your on about. The Super seacat isn't designed to sail in the Irish sea during the winter. It can go fast but it can't handle rough weather. I'm sure you people out there, who have been on the seacat during rough weather will agree. It's one bumpy ride. So no wonder the Heysham route is doing well. No one wants to go to L'pool on a vessel like that. It would be doing better than the Heysham route if a conventional vessel was being used. :o

For years the IOMSTC have been keen on the Heysham route even though people hate the town, it's inconvenient and the terminal is shite.

Why do they still offer sailings to Heysham when everyone wants to go to Liverpool, Belfast or Dublin?

Does anyone know if Heysham was included in the '50 Crap Towns' book (or whatever it was called)?

For years the IOMSTC have been keen on the Heysham route even though people hate the town, it's inconvenient and the terminal is shite.

Why do they still offer sailings to Heysham when everyone wants to go to Liverpool, Belfast or Dublin?

Does anyone know if Heysham was included in the '50 Crap Towns' book (or whatever it was called)?

can anyone tell me where to get the book called "1001 ways to get out of liverpool" ?,

every time I go there I follow the motorway signs and end up on a different route, and it takes so long to get out of the place, it's much simpler to get on the M6 from heysham (and on saturday had an extra couple of hours drive to get up north and missed the sunshine on the autumn colours in the Lakes ;-( )

just to point out, but both the super and normal seacats can handle VERY rough weather but the passangers can not which is why sailings get cancelled in rough weather.

Er..right.. And any guidelines / regulations regarding applicable wave heights are just there to give the captain something to read? Just like MCA stands for Mickey's Cartoon Assembly....

SSC2: 3m

SC IOM: 3.5m

Once the waves are higher than that, it's a no-no for aluminium vessel sailings..

And if it's because "passengers can't handle rough sailings", then why did we go out on the Lady in a force 9/10 on a regular basis ?

Trust me on this: Seacat Isle of Man had limited capabilities when it came to rough conditions - I was on it on a few sailings in very rough weather during my time on board - if these vessels (they're not boats!) aren't made for anything, then it's rough weather - we even lost the anchor on one occasion, and you could see the whole super-structure bend and twist when we hit the waves - very stable in rough weather indeed...

can anyone tell me where to get the book called "1001 ways to get out of liverpool" ?,

every time I go there I follow the motorway signs and end up on a different route, and it takes so long to get out of the place, it's much simpler to get on the M6 from heysham (and on saturday had an extra couple of hours drive to get up north and missed the sunshine on the autumn colours in the Lakes ;-( )

You must have a very poor memory for routes. Surely once you've got it right or wrong once then you remember for the next time?

Liverpool is much better than Heysham IMO. Supposing for example you're driving in from who knows where and you arrive a few hours early. At least you're in a city with stuff to do. As opposed to Heysham.

I'm inclined to agree :D

You must have a very poor memory for routes. Surely once you've got it right or wrong once then you remember for the next time?

Liverpool is much better than Heysham IMO. Supposing for example you're driving in from who knows where and you arrive a few hours early. At least you're in a city with stuff to do. As opposed to Heysham.

just to point out, but both the super and normal seacats can handle VERY rough weather but the passangers can not which is why sailings get cancelled in rough weather.

Nope :D

Nope :D

I agree with you Simon. Heysham is a dump. I would rather sail to L'pool. Ah civilisation :D

I needed one for how to get out of Heysham in the right direction once.

I was 18, driving away on motorways for the very first time and I was on my own. My route to Surrey was planned, I knew which junctions I had to get off and which motorways I was supposed to be on. I'd been told that getting to the M6 from Heysham docks was easy and clearly sign posted. Even though it was gone midnight before I set off, I managed to follow all the signs and get on the M6. Being a bit concerned that I was going to get lost on the way, end up on the wrong motorway or just generally panic at larger roundabouts than I was used to, I was just happy to be on it in good time and I hadn't really paid much attention to how I joined it.

It wasn't until I saw the sign for Kendall that I realised my mistake...

Edit: Oh and then I spent 5 miles looking for a gap in the central reservation before I eventually found a grass verge I could go over :)

Archived