Brits Moan Re The New Haka

Survivor

What is it with the British Media?

Haka Too Much for the British to take

Is this the opinion of the people in Britian - or is it just the media hyping everything up? Personally, as a Kiwi, there is nothing more exciting than watching the Haka, and I was even more hyped up watching the one last weekend at Twickenham.

The papers say the throat sliting gesture is too much - well quite frankly i think singing over the Haka is out of order, but understand that this is the way that English try to combat the Haka. Can't comment on the Scots or Welsh as I usually watch those games on the telly and you can hear the Haka because of the microphones used on the field. But the Irish actually shushed people at the game I was at the other weekend because they respect the Haka, and more importantly, they love to hear it too.

I think the booing was too much - but then i am biased - so tell me, what do you lot think? or do you even really care?

The Haka is a challenge to the opposition. I lost all respect for NZ and their traditions when they complained and had Richard Cockerill (England hooker) sanctioned because he had the audacity to march up the the half way line and stand with his hands on his hips to stare them down while they were doing it. Your thugs even moaned because O'Driscoll was seen tossing a blade of grass in the air before the first Lions test, which apparently is some sort of local gesture. Was that deliberate or just co-incidence? Who knows. All we do know is that 45 seconds later, O'Driscoll had a dislocated shoulder.

Issue a challenge by all means, but dont moan like little girls because someone accepts it.

But yes, I think the throat slitting gesture is a step too far. If any player in any professional sport made that gesture to an opponent during a game, I would expect them to be spoken to by the referee. It's not a challenge or a tradition, it's outright provocation. They're given license to taunt their opposition. I wouldn't want to see the Haka go, as it's a theatrical part of the game, but to suggest that opposition see it as anything other than posturing is astonishingly naive.

they complained and had Richard Cockerill (England hooker) sanctioned because he had the audacity to march up the the half way line and stand with his hands on his hips to stare them down while they were doing it.

O'Driscoll was seen tossing a blade of grass in the air before the first Lions test, which apparently is some sort of local gesture.

First time i have ever heard of either of these things happening - IMO both (Cokerill & O'Driscoll) have a right to do that. I find it odd that the AB's in particular took offence as they have many times over the years had teams confront them - and i know the kiwi's love it when they do.

45 seconds later, O'Driscoll had a dislocated shoulder.

talk about astonishingly naive - come on, that's just not real! I admit the games have been harsh - but no AB would deliberately injure another player based on what you are saying - or any other matter to be honest. I know you'll come back with other comments on this - but i stand by my comments. There have been many instances that people have deemed unacceptable by others (Lawrence D stomping on J Lomu after he had just scored a try and was still lying on the ground for example).

But yes, I think the throat slitting gesture is a step too far. If any player in any professional sport made that gesture to an opponent during a game,

But it's not DURING a game - that's the difference.

You'd probably get arrested for doing it anywhere else. It's not a part of the sport, or any sport.

Though fighting seems to be OK in rugby. The media accepts a good punch-up in a rugby match, but if a footballer does it he's shamed the nation.

that's because SOME of the supporters do enough of the fighting in soccer - don't need the players to do it :P

First time i have ever heard of either of these things happening - IMO both (Cokerill & O'Driscoll) have a right to do that. I find it odd that the AB's in particular took offence as they have many times over the years had teams confront them - and i know the kiwi's love it when they do.

No they don't. Google for both the cases I mention and you'll see a ton of other examples.

Basically, you don't like back at you.

And my comment about being naive is that you actually believe other teams are intimidated by a bunch of grown men Morris dancing before a game? It's theatre, nothing else. Nobody gets scared by it.

Basically, you don't like back at you.

bollocks - you speak to the majority of kiwis and they'll tell you differently. I for one love it when the Samoans and Fijians do their "Haka" at the same time - it's electrifying. When Wales (i think, or maybe France, can't remember) stood right in our faces, the Haka got stronger and the crowd were loving it.

And my comment about being naive is that you actually believe other teams are intimidated by a bunch of grown men Morris dancing before a game? It's theatre, nothing else. Nobody gets scared by it.

i don't believe that other teams are intimidated by it no - yes it is theatre to a degree - but it means alot to the kiwis as a nation - it's what makes us stand out in the big bad world, and reminds us of who we are. You ever watched Whale Rider? That film shows you just what it means to the Maoris, and to some of us who aren't. I for one feel very proud when i see them perform the Haka

I for one feel very proud when i see them perform the Haka

Fine, then perform your ceremonial dance and drop the ridiculous throat slitting gesture which does nothing but cheapen it into a childish prance.

If the all blacks put as much energy into there rugby as they do the haka they might have won the world cup!

we did - admitedly years ago <_< but don't get cocky - you've only won once! :P

Problem is, over the past few years we seem to have peaked between world cups - but my money is definitely on us to win in 2007

Archived