Houses Open To The Public

manxchatterbox

At the back of my mind I have an idea that the Bishop has previously opened his house to the public - am I right? does anyone know (other than of course the Bishop)???

Are there any other houses regularly opened to the public??

If you're thinking of Bishopscourt, the Bishop doesn't live there, but there's some sort of a 'do' in the garden - each Tynwald Day I think. No access to the house though.

Same goes with Milntown, there's occasional events in the garden, but I think the house will be open to the public sometime in the future.

As the Bishop hasn't lived at Bishopscourt since the 1970's it makes me wonder just how much in touch with events mcbox is .

Gardens are opened as part of the 'secret gardens' festivals held in Castletown & Peel (and possibly elsewhere) - there are various charity does held in private houses - see Fenella's column in Examiner.

I think the other correction is that charity events were held in the gardens at the Whitehouse (Kk Michael) - Milntown is now owned by MNH but not yet fully open to public (I can't recall any recent public opening there but then Ramsey is a long way from Peel !). At one time Lorn(e) house was opened once per year but again not recently to my knowledge (however no doubt someone will correct me)

And as Fenella is now reporting on the wonderful social do in the sky, it makes me wonder just how much in touch with events Frances is

:)

I've got an image in my head of Fenella trying to get freebies from Afterlife Marks & Spencer by going on about them in each of her columns in Afterlife Times.

Didn't one of the Bishops think Bishop's Court was too big and expensive to maintain so moved to a house on Quaterbridge Road - then again it was decided it was too big a property and so isn't the Bishop now in a modern detached house down Tromode??

I just had in mind he had opened his new house to the public - a one-off or as a once a year I don't know - does anyone else??

Presumably, even if its not open you can go and look at it from the bottome of the drive - it wouldn't be PROWLing would it???

:ph34r:

Archived