What Does Everyone Think About The Situation With George Best?

Higgy

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jeeze we HAD to have a minutes silence for George (under threat of violence from some bald headed thug) - Well after all football is ONLY A GAME ! maybe some of the fuckin football NAZI'S should remember that! sad bastards!

What's all that about? :o

Jeeze we HAD to have a minutes silence for George (under threat of violence from some bald headed thug) - Well after all football is ONLY A GAME ! maybe some of the fuckin football NAZI'S should remember that! sad bastards!

What's all that about? :o

LOL

yeah, sorry about that.. bit lashed... bit peeved... maybe I should explain.. We had an enforced minutes silence in the pub last night. Which I must say I strongly object too. I choose to observe a minutes silence for those who gave their & had their lives taken away in defence of our country.

what's the bets some 'enterprising' footie types are wringing their hands with glee at the thought of all the money they can make off his memory.

Language Timothy...

Yes but death isn't.

I was in the pub yesterday when a Liverpool chap rather cynically exclaimed “I see that George Best has died, that liver could have gone to someone else”

“Yeah, that’s what we thought” agreed some more like minded folk as mr scouser.

It seemed to me that they just saw this as another Manchester United in the News item.

But there was a logic of course to their thinking. And for a brief moment I went with the flow. Then I watched them as they sparked up another ciggie and downed yet another pint.

I wondered what sort of people they believed needed organ transplants. It reminded me of my trip to Broadgreen Hospital where the ever tough local patients, just having had a heart by-pass or lung operation or whatever, were still keen to drag themselves (often with a drip on a trolley) to the smoking area outside.

As in “dead ‘ard me”.

A great footballer....yes

A role model for kids...not really

Whilst an undeniable talent the actions in his private life left a lot to be desired. The amount of column inches and air time given to this is a sad idictment of what we call celebrity these days.

Compare that to Richard Burns, the only Englishman ever to lift the World Rally Title...died over the weekend of a brain tumour at 34 years of age. Hardly even mentioned.

There was a fella on one of the football phone in shows who was at the Liverpool who said it was a handful (4 or 5) at the back who made the noise. Then, a bit like the Harry Enfield sketch, everyone else told them to "leave it out". And ofcourse the silence was broken.

I think the minutes applause is the way forward because it only take a relatively small number to spoil a silence - there was one shout at the Spurs game audible over the commentry, for example.

Glad his and our suffering is over! No more rubbish about some old footballer alcoholic, or other in the papers anymore - good! I'm sure he was a good footballer but, who cares? he hasn't played football for years, and was no better than Ted the Tramp, no one made all this fuss when he died, so why should there be all this fuss about George Best? In fact Ted the Tramp was better than him!

I expect better than that from you tbh ms bees, uncalled for.

Read today about the Leeds fans singing "we hate man u" and whistling though the minutes silence for Best at the game with Millwall, typical Leeds fans, need i say any more.

RIP Best.

After he blew his chance to sort out his personal life/health I wouldn't have given the man the time of day and I grew tired of hearing and reading about him in the news every day. I wouldn't wish him dead of course but to be honest I agree with the couple of people on here who've spoken out against him. It's an opinion, we're entitled to it and it doesn't make us bad, disrespectful people. I started a thread a while back entitled "Mourning Sickness", not entirely relevant to this thread but some points which were made are quite thought provoking about grief over "celebrities".

Whilst I don't agree with people blatantly booing, whistling, chanting etc during the minutes silence, I don't see why everybody should be made to feel like they have to conform and observe any silence (whether it be for George Best or 9/11).

Archived