And You Thought You Had Plenty

crumlin

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are from the Isle of Man and have a Manx passport and NI number you are not allowed to work in the EU (some rule changes may have occured) a Manx person can only get emergency medical help in a EU country and can not get any state benifits from these countries. Manx Passports use to carry a warning on page five which states the holder of this passport does not have the right of abode or employments outside the UK

I was under the Impression that Manx passport = British passport, at least as far as laws and rights of employment, etc, were concerned - if you can convince me otherwise, then I will admit to being wrong but still don't get your point about people working in the UK, as the IOM isn't part of the UK....

A Manx passport is essentially a British passport (unfortunately). However, those who have no parent of British or Irish background should have a stamp in their passports denying them the right of EU travel/work, etc. The info is all on the Government's website - search for the FAQs (www.gov.im).

We may think that this is a bit stingy but it means our independence is maintained and remember that the island anjoys free access to EU markets even though we are a non-member.

It's another example of us Manxies wanting the best of both worlds; we want to be recognised as separate from the UK, but also want the benefits that are peculiar to the UK. The best example I remember of this was after the National Lottery started in the UK, there was disgruntlement that the NL did not contribute to any worthy causes over here, yet we didn't have the NL to contribute to it!

Now we have the NL (or Lotto), I hope local worthy causes do get a slice of the cake!

There will be other examples, but we have really got to decide which camp we are in.

I was under the Impression that Manx passport = British passport, at least as far as laws and rights of employment, etc, were concerned - if you can convince me otherwise, then I will admit to being wrong but still don't get your point about people working in the UK, as the IOM isn't part of the UK....

I've the passport with the stamp in it. Can't lay my hands on it at the moment but I think it's a British (Islands) passport and stamped that I have no right to employment or abode in the EU

This means that I couldn't go and live and work in Germany whereas you can come and live here and presumably apply for a work permit to work here

I'm certainly not complaining about you being here, but it does seems little one sided when a few thousand Manx people can't live in the EU but many millions of EU people ccould move here. I suppose it's in the hands of the IOM Govt to use residency controls if/when it sees fit

I've the passport with the stamp in it. Can't lay my hands on it at the moment but I think it's a British (Islands) passport and stamped that I have no right to employment or abode in the EU

This means that I couldn't go and live and work in Germany whereas you can come and live here and presumably apply for a work permit to work here

I'm certainly not complaining about you being here, but it does seems little one sided when a few thousand Manx people can't live in the EU but many millions of EU people ccould move here. I suppose it's in the hands of the IOM Govt to use residency controls if/when it sees fit

Yes, sorry it's British Islands not United Kingdom but the citizenship should read 'British citizen' I believe. Luckily, I have no stampy so I am able to work in Europe. I think the island benefits a lot from its status with the EU.

Yes, sorry it's British Islands not United Kingdom but the citizenship should read 'British citizen' I believe. Luckily, I have no stampy so I am able to work in Europe. I think the island benefits a lot from its status with the EU.

British citizen could just mean that you live in the Falklands or Hong Kong and have no automatic right to live in the UK. Being British doesn't mean that you live in the UK or the British Isles. I think some people (not you) confuse the two sometimes

I think you get the stamp in your passport in you have no parents or grandparents who were born in the UK. If I were desperate I could maybe get around it by applying for an Irish passport as I think I might possibly qualify on my mother's side.

I agree that the IOM does benefit from its status with regards to the EU

ok - maybe i'm mis-understanding all this but.............. you have to get a permit to work in the EU if you are manx - but you also have to have a permit to work in the IOM if you aren't manx - so what's the problem here?

ok - maybe i'm mis-understanding all this but.............. you have to get a permit to work in the EU if you are manx - but you also have to have a permit to work in the IOM if you aren't manx - so what's the problem here?

I can't live in the EU, I've no right to live there. It doesn't seem to work the other way though

I did hesitate to enter this thread 'cos I could see where it would probably end up :)

But why can't you live in the EU?? - sorry, i'm not up to date with all of the legalities on this subject. Can you not apply for a permit to work in a certain country of the EU on the same basis you apply for one in the IOM?

and i cant get a student grant over here because im not manx but you manxies and go to the uk and get one! :angry: and the iom might as well just be part of the uk because its pretty much the same apart from a few things changed in the law to make it 'different' and shoprite sells food from iceland which is a uk company, 99percent of the shops in town are from the uk, the only thing that makes it different is probably the word yessir. and about all the polish people coming to the uk we didnt see all us trying to get over to poland, or we didnt see the polish rushing to turkey or places like that did we?! and even if we dont lose what jobs we have left for us over here (uk) to the people immigrating, then we lose them to the immigrants in their own country ie: call centers in india and everything is made in china etc :(

But why can't you live in the EU?? - sorry, i'm not up to date with all of the legalities on this subject. Can you not apply for a permit to work in a certain country of the EU on the same basis you apply for one in the IOM?

Because, being Manx with no immediate English ancestors, my passport is stamped that I have no right of employment or abode in the EU

I might be able to apply for a work permit but I guess (I don't know how any precedures for this work, assuming there are any) I would also have to apply to live in the EU (long commute home otherwise :D) whereas EU citizens can freely live, and if they want, apply to work here.

Living and working are two seperate things. If I was retired, as it stands, I couldn't move to Spain and live out my years there even though I had no intention of seeking work.

Archived