3x Over Limit - 1000gbp Fine

cheesemonster2005

A couple of my friends were done for very similar offences recently. The both got £1,000 fines and 3 year bans. Both of their lawyers told them that the reason they didn't go to prison was that it was full.

I doubt they'll do it again, but a prison sentence is a much bigger incentive to not drink and drive.

I know 3 people who have written cars off when they were drunk, but the police never found out. It's pure luck that nobody was hurt.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are drug driving tests available on the roadside yet?

I know plenty of people who are totally anti-drink driving and will not touch a drop saying "Nah I'm not even gonna risk it, especially at this time of year" and then quite happily drive home after a few spliffs.

I've even met people at clubs who won't drink (so they can drive home) but are still on E, coke or fast. How they think they will get away with it if they are pulled I don't know. I have to say back in the days of the Academy I once refused to get in a car driven by someone I knew was on Mushrooms - it was a long walk back to Douglas for me, but jeez how could he do it?!

Is the punishment the same for Drug Diving as Drink Driving?

//Sorry back on thread

'Drink drivers' are idiots who endanger all other road users. Their behaviour is selfish, arrogant, anti-social and criminal. For someone who is 3-times over the limit, there should be at least a 10-year ban. Any further offence should automatically mean imprisonment.

Are drug driving tests available on the roadside yet?

No, which is why drugs will never be legalised.

Could you elaborate? Sorry I don't mean to be awkward I'm genuinely curious.

If someone has a serious accident and kills someone, then the police (and society) don't mind spending the time and money to establish what they have in their system.

But if the police just stop someone for driving erratically or having a minor accidnet then they're obliged to test them for legal drugs - e.g. alcohol. But that's OK, because it's quick and easy to do it with a breathalyser.

If drugs were also legal, then they'd be obliged to test them for cocaine, amphetamine, canabis, heroin etc. It's too costly and takes too much time at the moment. They need the equivalent of a breathalyser that they can carry around with them and gives an instant response, and no such thing exists. So they can't legalise drugs.

Granted, this means that some people currently get away with doing it, but that's politics for you. If you can't afford to test for it, stick your head in the sand and pretend it's not happening.

LOL, a friend got stopped in Ramsey.... The copper searched his car for drugs..... why, cos the Copper said having lots of bottled water in the car is a classic sign of SPEED.... OMG.... So he got a ticket... Stopped for Drugs Act. They have no reason to suspect him, he hasnt been near drugs EVER...

Nah m8, its a classic sign of being thirsty.... tool

Classic sign of coppers being bored I think

IMO. If anyone has been stopped for drink driving, they should be either taken up to the morgue and shown the bodies of victims/drunk drivers or shown pictures/videos of accidents involving drunk drivers. I am sure the sight of these will make the drivers think again. It's not a pretty sight :huh:

If he'd caused some sort of accident then he'd deserve more, but otherwise, this sentence is fine.

Think you are missing the point here.

There is no justification for drink driving and he could of very easily killed someone.

Too true. We need to stop only jailing people if they kill someone/hurt someone. Those who didn't have an accident but were drunk are just as guilty and they're just lucky. We need to show people that any drunk drivers will be dealt with very harshly to stop people thinking that it's not a serious crime - it is!

//Sorry back on thread

They can test for drugs but not at the roadside. The punishment is just as severe and ofcourse you're fairly likely to get done for possession if you still have any on you.

I would imagine (but I don't know) that a stoned driver is about as dangerous as a drunk driver - and both should be locked up. They're just intoxicated in different ways. Someone on magic mushrooms though needs to be shot if they consider getting into a car whilst still high.

//Sorry back on thread

They can test for drugs but not at the roadside. The punishment is just as severe and ofcourse you're fairly likely to get done for possession if you still have any on you.

I would imagine (but I don't know) that a stoned driver is about as dangerous as a drunk driver - and both should be locked up. They're just intoxicated in different ways. Someone on magic mushrooms though needs to be shot if they consider getting into a car whilst still high.

I will probably need my asbestos suit for saying this, but in my experience cannabis does not impair your driving ability anywhere near as much as alcohol does. If anything it makes you drive more carefully (No, I am not condoning it, just playing devil's advocate)

When the police finally get the roadside drug testing kits (That's a when, not an if) will they judge your drug induced driving impairment on an incremental basis as with alcohol? Meaning that if you had a spliff 24 hours earlier it will still be in your system but it is highly unlikely that it will affect your driving ability, so will you still get done? Or will they take it a step further and use the presence of a small amount of cannabis in your system as an excuse to search you, your car, you home your workplace and any other place they fancy?

I have no objections at all to roadside drug testing as long as the results are taken in context and it does not lead to widespread outbreaks of witchhunting.

/troll

Wouldn't the simple solution to that scenario be to not take illegal drugs in the first place?

/troll

Wouldn't the simple solution to drink driving be to not take alcohol in the first place. Whether it's legal or illegal they're all the same. They all impair our judgement, can affect our health and have positive and negative effects.

Wouldn't the simple solution to drink driving be to not take alcohol in the first place. Whether it's legal or illegal they're all the same. They all impair our judgement, can affect our health and have positive and negative effects.

Apples and Oranges.

What's with this blanket approach to the problem.

Every case has to be judged on it's own merits and what's wrong with a degree of flexibility?

Also, where would you put all these people you'll be jailing and who'll pay for the cost of their upkeep.

I'm a devout hater of drink driving but there has to be some perspective.

The threat of prison is unlikely to act as a deterrent because those who decide to drink drive have probably done so with no thought for their actions never mind the consequences.

And quite often, those caught drink driving have an alcohol problem which won't magically disappear by the threat of prison.

Archived