Residents In South Of Island In Tsunami Danger Zone

manxchatterbox

Nice Doomsday topic....

Somehow I don't think the world is going to end tomorrow, it might though. I doubt you could get a wave height in the Irish Sea big enough to swamp the Island, I would think a lot of energy would have been taken away with the wave contacting the Spanish, French, UK and Eire Coasts before it reached here as well. Snaefell would be nice and safe ;)

Well it seems that if this highly unlikely event did happen it would reach the coast of the Uk in 5 hours. Just enough time to get the surf board waxed... Or if you're not that sporty just move inland so you're 50m above sea level, break out the picnic and watch the tide come in. You'll easily be able to rebuild your house with the 100's of millions raised by Indonesia and related Muslim countries to help us out.

What we need is a real-time Google Earth so that we can watch it in real time.

Be grateful for global warming - without it we'd still be attached to the mainland!

Or, if you happen to live in one of the surrounding jurisdictions - weep about it, because global warming has prevented you from enjoying the physical and intellectual benefits of being Manx. ;)

Didnt the last program on tv about this canary islands thingy

say that if the mountain collapsed as predicted then the wave would travel westwards and batter the US east coast.

It said the flooding to the UK would be minimal so we are all safe except Ramsey but that doesnt matter too much. :D

looking at the link posted by Cholmondley Warner just a couple of points...

FACT: There has NEVER been a Mega-Tsunami in the Atlantic ocean. NEVER

~ Fact - there has been no Mega-Tsunami in RECORDED HISTORY in the Atlantic. The recorded history is only over a small part of the evolution of earth. Bare in mind the Mount St Helens Eruption for example has taught of new dangers not known before the eruption. Scientists are still learning about the earth.

FACT: The Horizon report suggests that evidence was gathered from the water galleries (tunnels) on La Palma.

~ The volcanoes spawned from the same fault, so it would be quite something to have entirely structures. The North volcano was used for analysis due to the fact its still a bit hot to go into the Cumbre Vieja at present!

There is a general problem with apathy when advising of potential catastrophic events, with the great majority of people only taking note in the aftermath of an event. Personally, from studying the material in depth & the reports behind the Horizon program, I believe it is a risk that should not be discounted, but neither should we building arks just yet.

Personally, from studying the material in depth & the reports behind the Horizon program, I believe it is a risk that should not be discounted, but neither should we building arks just yet.

So you'll just find a nice fence and sit on it in the meantime... ;)

Sitting on the fence it may be, but its uncomfortable at the best of times! I am basing my views on the research I have undertaken on the published papers available at this time. It is likely the event that does occur is somewhere between the two theories put forward to date. As stated in my previous post, we are still learning about alot of the planet's processes and it would be foresee that either scenario is 100% correct. It is however, more prudent to look at minimising the effects of a major event & have suitable plans in place, I will be more than happy to hear the shouts of many saying "you were wrong!" as oppose to far fewer voices asking why were we not prepared.

looking at the link posted by Cholmondley Warner just a couple of points...

FACT: There has NEVER been a Mega-Tsunami in the Atlantic ocean. NEVER

~ Fact - there has been no Mega-Tsunami in RECORDED HISTORY in the Atlantic.

You mean since records were re-started after the old ones were mysteriously lost after a sudden rush of water.

QUOTE(Albert Tatlock @ Apr 3 2006, 04:08 PM)

Be grateful for global warming - without it we'd still be attached to the mainland!

Im attached to the mainland - I live on it ........ now go wash your foul mouth out.

Sitting on the fence it may be, but its uncomfortable at the best of times! I am basing my views on the research I have undertaken on the published papers available at this time. It is likely the event that does occur is somewhere between the two theories put forward to date. As stated in my previous post, we are still learning about alot of the planet's processes and it would be foresee that either scenario is 100% correct. It is however, more prudent to look at minimising the effects of a major event & have suitable plans in place, I will be more than happy to hear the shouts of many saying "you were wrong!" as oppose to far fewer voices asking why were we not prepared.

Given the following facts, I am interested as to what efforts could be made to minimise the effects of this major event, when the volcano on La Palma collapses? Scientists predict that it will generate a wave that will be almost inconceivably destructive, far bigger than anything ever witnessed in modern times. It will surge across the entire Atlantic in a matter of hours, engulfing the whole US east coast, sweeping away everything in its path up to 20km inland. Boston would be hit first, followed by New York, then all the way down the coast to Miami and the Caribbean.

Given the following facts, I am interested as to what efforts could be made to minimise the effects of this major event, when the volcano on La Palma collapses? Scientists predict that it will generate a wave that will be almost inconceivably destructive, far bigger than anything ever witnessed in modern times. It will surge across the entire Atlantic in a matter of hours, engulfing the whole US east coast, sweeping away everything in its path up to 20km inland. Boston would be hit first, followed by New York, then all the way down the coast to Miami and the Caribbean.

As far as America is concerned, it's gonna go like this:

Do nothing before it happens

Do a bit when it happens

Award big rebuilding contracts after it happened

Archived