Insulting? Or Realistic?

Lonan3

From Energy FM News:

The Minister for Health and Social Security has come under fire for suggesting that people in receipt of the Winter Heating Bonus may spend it on Christmas goods if they are given the money in December rather than January.

Steve Rodan's comments came in a written response to a question from North Douglas MHK Bill Henderson, who asked him to consider bringing the payment forward.

Mr Henderson says the Ministers comments are insulting and that the low income families in his constituency would never spend the money on anything other than keeping warm.

He says that people are struggling to pay increased heating bills and need better help from the Government.

Tynwald agreed earlier this year to give eligible groups,including pensioners and the long term sick and disabled, a lump sum payment of £260 pounds in January.

So what do you think? If the payments were made early, would some people succumb to the temptation of spending part/all of it on Christmas - or would they really use it exclusively for their heating bills? Is Steve Rodan simply being insulting, or is Bill Henderson being unrealistic?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
From Energy FM News:

The Minister for Health and Social Security has come under fire for suggesting that people in receipt of the Winter Heating Bonus may spend it on Christmas goods if they are given the money in December rather than January.

Steve Rodan's comments came in a written response to a question from North Douglas MHK Bill Henderson, who asked him to consider bringing the payment forward.

Mr Henderson says the Ministers comments are insulting and that the low income families in his constituency would never spend the money on anything other than keeping warm.

He says that people are struggling to pay increased heating bills and need better help from the Government.

Tynwald agreed earlier this year to give eligible groups,including pensioners and the long term sick and disabled, a lump sum payment of £260 pounds in January.

So what do you think? If the payments were made early, would some people succumb to the temptation of spending part/all of it on Christmas - or would they really use it exclusively for their heating bills? Is Steve Rodan simply being insulting, or is Bill Henderson being unrealistic?

The payment should be in the form of a non-transferable voucher, not cash.

Couldn't they just credit the electricity accounts of the people, and then there would be no argument on where the money went.

I say electricity because everyone uses elecy where as not everyone has gas or oil.

What's the problem if some of them want to use it for other things? All the elderly are entitled to this fuel allowance and should spend it how they wish.

From Energy FM News:

The payment should be in the form of a non-transferable voucher, not cash.

as should ALL benefits

I think the winter heating bonus should be paid before December, many elderly people in receipt of this payment are already feeling the cold and running up huge heating bills..... worse still too frightened to turn the gas up because of the cost and then becoming ill.... even worse not making it to christmas.

I've been in receipt of this payment when I was a single parent and to be honest I spent the money on extra heating and towards christmas as

it's the only way your children don't go with out presents.

Rodan's got a point as some people definately will use the heating allowance to buy presents etc, but then what's to stop the same people using it to pay off the xmas credit card debt in January? Give it to them in December and let them fcuk up their own finances if they want. They'll soon learn their lesson when they're turning blue, just so long as they don't get bailed out because of it.

Kite, Rog you should be ashamed of yourselves.

Have you ever experienced the humiliation of having to claim a benefit?

Fucking vouchers my arse, how much further do you want to drive down people's self-esteem?

There's enough humiliation in filling in your claim forms, having divulge every personal detail, send your bank statement to some faceless civil servant.

Hasn't anyone thought, the people might, just have a better Christmas not having to worry so much about heating costs, nice warm lounge on Christmas morning?

Iv'e no doubt a few may treat themselves....and why not?

As for Mr. Rodan.....'Are there no workhouses?...no prisons'

Disgraceful :angry:

i have claimed benefits once when I was between jobs,i didnt get anything out of them. when i put my income tax form in i have to divulge all my personal details where is the differecne.

people should be glad they are living in a place where they get help if they need it,not complaining because its in vouchers. people who dont work should not have money for alcohol,drugs,ciggies

What's the biggie about claiming benefits? It's a service provided for those who need the assistance. It's when people like you start saying things like "Have you ever experienced the humiliation of having to claim a benefit?" that people's esteem is going to get low. There is nothing wrong with claiming and there is no stigma attached to it unless people make a big deal about it.

Sorry for the rant.

What's the biggie about claiming benefits? It's a service provided for those who need the assistance. It's when people like you start saying things like "Have you ever experienced the humiliation of having to claim a benefit?" that people's esteem is going to get low. There is nothing wrong with claiming and there is no stigma attached to it unless people make a big deal about it.

It's also due to comments like this.....

Because it's tax payers' fucking money, that's why not!

Not all benefit claimers are non-taxpaying scroungers.

Archived