Taxing Road Conditions

Nunderweiza

Would someone like to tell me why we pay road tax when the state of manx roads are diabolical (TT course is an exception). Sounds like to me we are paying road tax for the upkeep of the TT course. Had I known before moving to the island how bad the roads were I would of invested in a bleeding tank to get over the numerous pot holes/pumps. You only have to look at the state of Douglas promenade to see what I mean. Hey Mr D.O.T Try smoothing the roads out mate, instead of creating more bloody bumps the size of sleeping police men.

Would someone like to tell me why we pay road tax when the state of manx roads are diabolical (TT course is an exception). Sounds like to me we are paying road tax for the upkeep of the TT course. Had I known before moving to the island how bad the roads were I would of invested in a bleeding tank to get over the numerous pot holes/pumps. You only have to look at the state of Douglas promenade to see what I mean. Hey Mr D.O.T Try smoothing the roads out mate, instead of creating more bloody bumps the size of sleeping police men.

I'm inclined to agree with you. You do get the impression that all the best kept roads are on the TT course. :angry:

Roads are in bad nic on the island but maybe it's because they spend more than normal amounts on maintaining the TT course. Maybe it's because the island has a lot of roads per population than most places. Or (more likely) it's because of corruption.

Well i personally think if they trained there D O T workers in how to build roads properly we would have less of a problem.

Also this Patch fetish they have must be stopped, Instead of patching just build proper roads and they will not need patches.

Its a joke the DOT must get £40 to £50 million a year from road tax and what do they do with it.

Well i personally think if they trained there D O T workers in how to build roads properly we would have less of a problem.

Also this Patch fetish they have must be stopped, Instead of patching just build proper roads and they will not need patches.

Its a joke the DOT must get £40 to £50 million a year from road tax and what do they do with it.

Bit of a cheek. I think that the DOT staff do the allocated work to a fine standard, it's the DOT itself who specify which jobs to complete and when. I agree about the patching, but I think you are directing your argument at the wrong side of the Department.

Didn't you come over and check the Island out first and look at the roads before you moved to the Island or did you just think one day"I know I/We'll move to the Isle of Man.

I agree with you that a lot of the roads are diabolical, but you have the same choices as everyone else who lives here. If you don't like it, there's always a boat in the morning.

'Always leave things as you found them' my old granny used to say. Unfortunately, such words of wisdom have never penetrated the DoT when it comes to repairing road surfaces. In mitigation, it is probably due to other 'services' ripping up a road that the DoT have to come behind and try to make good the road, usually failing miserably. But let's face it, next to the boom in on-line gaming, digging up roads has to be the next biggest growth industry in the Island - a true job creation scheme. Foxdale high street is a case in point; ongoing hole-moving for months now and the resurfacing just up from The Hope, immaculate surface (should be used island-wide) and but they can build a mile of 6-lane motorway faster than the boys in yellow resurfaced that 150m stretch. Road tax on the Rock - it's a superbly disguised stealth tax which never seems to attract any attention when it is increased in the budget.

If you estimate that there are ten thousand cars on the island paying an average of £100 a year road tax, that total might cover the wages for the DOT but it certainly wont cover the costs of maintaining the roads.I would imagine on those figures they have to be carefull on what money they use.

Insurance plays a very big part of it.

In the UK if you trip over a wonky paving slab you can claim damages from whoever was responsible (council, BT, British Gas etc). So they make sure that the road / paving slabs are neat and tidy and safe.

On the IOM the legistlation dictates that you can only claim damages for tripping over the wonky paving slab IF that wonky paving slab has previously been reported as being dangerous.

So there's little financial incentive to keep the paving slabs from being wonky.

The lesson enduth hereth.

When God invented the Manksmen, he gave them a choice:

"You can either be the best in world at laying roads... or the best in the world at laying women."

The state of the roads tells you what choice they made.

Archived