Cruising In The Right Direction?

manxchatterbox

Isn't there supposed to be a DTL policy of inviting more and more cruise ships to call and let ashore the passengers to visit the IOM?

Any idea how many came this year compared to last? more or less??

Do visits have any economic benefit???

Any idea if any visits are known for next year??

Cruise visits to Dublin up 30pc in 05

Tuesday, November 29 11:52:25

(BizWorld)

Passenger cruise ship visits to Dublin rose by 30pc in the past year, Dublin Port Company (DPC) said today with passengers spending up to E45m in the city.

The 2005 cruise season, saw Dublin Port host 70 passenger cruise ships, carrying 60,000 passengers and 28,000 crew members, DPC said.

Dublin Port Company has, it said today, experienced huge demand from the leading international cruise companies wanting to call to Dublin Port and plans to further develop the sector, which is now a multi-billion euro business within the European market.

However, it is expected that further growth will be curtailed as Dublin Port faces operational capacity constraints in 2007.

"Operational capacity will not only affect the cruise industry, but will affect Ireland's ability to trade with the rest of the world," DPC said.

Enda Connellan, Chief Executive, Dublin Port Company said: "Much work has been undertaken by Dublin Port Company in conjunction with Cruise Ireland in making Dublin an attractive destination for cruise liners. As a key facilitator in Ireland's tourism industry, Dublin Port Company would like to see continued growth in the cruise sector, which provides important revenue for the local tourism industry."

Well this must be a great area for tourism to make the most off, having a berth for visiting ships would be great.

Then have coaches to ferry the visitors on a day trip around the island stopping for say 2 hours in each area.

Then on the return to the ship free gifts could be given to the passengers like a goodie bag with pen's, postcards and the like to help premote the island.

i bet the isle of man tourism would get a real boost from that.

But that's to easy aint it.

I have a vivid recollection of a group of American tourists from a cruise ship - on an excursion to Laxey - telling the lady in the local Post Office "Do you realise how much business you're losing by not accepting American Express?" as she tried to purchase three scenic postcards.

I have a vivid recollection of a group of American tourists from a cruise ship - on an excursion to Laxey - telling the lady in the local Post Office "Do you realise how much business you're losing by not accepting American Express?" as she tried to purchase three scenic postcards.

And would the shops accept the Dollar - like some of the accept the Euro? Why do any of our shops accept any foreign currency? Can't visitors visit a Bureau de Change before they leave home, like we do?

And would the shops accept the Dollar - like some of the accept the Euro? Why do any of our shops accept any foreign currency? Can't visitors visit a Bureau de Change before they leave home, like we do?

Most bank cards/credit cards have inbuilt currency conversion.

I've bought stuff in the States, with my Barclays card, from my UK bank account, and I've bought stuff in Oztralia with my Natwest Mastercard, no probs, and as good an exchange rate as any Bureau de change.

When returning home, I just settle my bill in £ as usual.

The US banks are notoriously bad at international stuff (quell surprise :angry: ) . Folks there can send me funds by transfer easily, but to send cash out there, the rates are awful, with unreasonably steep fees for basic bank-bank transfer. I think it's because there's no nationwide standard like BACS, or CHAPS, and they have to authenticate every international transaction by hand. Maybe some high-flying forum members know more about this..

But that's not all, I thought that (travellers) cheques were cheques, but it turned out some banks only deal with certain brands, eg. Thomas Cook or Amex, and just flatly refuse to deal with anything other than their brand. WTF?

Archived