Should The Iom Be Connected To Uk And Ireland By A Road Tunnel?

manxchatterbox

Should the DoT do a feasibility study to ascertain if the proposed Irish/UK road tunnel should have a T spur to allow the IOM to be connected ?? (just as like the gas pipline)

This item off an Irish web-site:-

Irish firms call for UK road tunnel

Monday, December 05 13:03:45

Many businesses are dissatisfied with government investment in transport, according to a survey released today.

The study by the Chambers of Commerce of Ireland has shown four out of ten respondents are unhappy with government investment in national roads, while seven out of ten remain dissatisfied with money spent on the non-national road network.

The report also welcomed the idea of a tunnel linking Ireland's road network to the UK and mainland Europe.

Nearly three quarters of companies (74pc) believe that a tunnel from Tuskar, Co Wexford, to Wales is important to Irish business.

The survey also showed that 52pc are dissatisfied with government investment in rail services, while 47pc expressed dissatisfaction with investment in Irish airports.

The results come just weeks after the government launched its 'Transport 21' initiative which will see E34.4bn spent on Irish transport over the next 10 years.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the tunnel is ever built, it's already a condition that none of the irish will be allowed to cycle through the tunnel. A representative for the Welsh side of the tunnel said "We don't want none of them dope peddlers coming over now boyo!"

Stav.

IOM Examiner today reveals that the number of TT visitors from Ireland was down by 2,772 this year..and David Cretney has made 'strong representations' to IOMSPCo to improve timings and sailings to Northern Ireland and the Republic of ireland....

So just think how many extra visitors from Ireland would be able to get here no matter what the weather if we had a tunnel link...and how many extra visitors could arrive from the UK and beyond...how about the IOM Chamber of Commerce doing a survey just like the Irish Chamber did to guage if such an idea has any support from IOM businesses??

i dont think theres any point in either, my gran came here when she was 16 and then she came to see me again when she was 74 so i think on the road/bridge there would probably be just the odd lost cow and coach full of old biddies since it cant be that good here if she has only been twice in 60 years! :lol: and it would be easier to smuggle in drugs which is a naughty thing to do! *shakes head*

the Irish Chamber of Commerce survey reports "Nearly three quarters of companies (74pc) believe that a tunnel from Tuskar, Co Wexford, to Wales is important to Irish business"....

are the Irish companies just having a laugh and think its a bit of Irish craick or are they serious...I think they are serious 'cos the Irish have a canny knack of getting access to EU funding for strategic long term development schemes....it would be good to get the EU to put some cash towards, indirectly, helping the IOM - think of how much it cost to get the meat plant the creamery and god knows how much else other businesses have to pay for the sake of EU regulation..isn't it about time we had something back?

Archived