Should The Iom Be Connected To Uk And Ireland By A Road Tunnel?

manxchatterbox

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
whereas a catapult really is fantasy....a tunnel isn't...

To connect the IOM would be fantasy, and physically impossible as well. You see there isn't actually enough square mileage on the Isle of Man to allow the tunnel to hit the surface far enough inland for the gradient to be anywhere near acceptable without the tunnel breaching the sea floor on the way up.

didn't I see some film about some sort of earth boring vehicle being developed in Area 51 or somewhere?? will have to think about that one.....

The film was called The Core, and it's utterly bad - so bad in fact, that only Gigli is slightly worse..

What you should really think about is a change of medication. Get yourself some flurazepam - two a day, keeps the forum away... Failing that, I'm sure that this pharmacy has something to get rid of those voices in your head...

According to Max Weber, the frequency of and demand for journeys between two centres of population is proportional to the size of the populations and indirectly proportional to the distance between them.

That is why muppets who post on here about commuter railways from peel to Douglas or a 100+ miles branch line to an already unfeasible sub-terranean project ought to be laughed at.

How about this for an idea!?! We build 2 contraptions!! One for the sea & one for the air. Let's say we call one a "boat" & the other a "plane". The "plane" will depart from something called an "airport" & the "boat" will depart from the "sea terminal" It's such a crazy idea it might just work!!!!!! Who's with me?

whereas a catapult really is fantasy....a tunnel isn't...

To connect the IOM would be fantasy, and physically impossible as well. You see there isn't actually enough square mileage on the Isle of Man to allow the tunnel to hit the surface far enough inland for the gradient to be anywhere near acceptable without the tunnel breaching the sea floor on the way up.

Bullshit.

bridgebetweenswedenandd4th.jpg

See how it dips under with minimal square mileage. The same type of entrance/exit could be used although I favour the bridge idea:

http://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php...indpost&p=99686

OK. I do realise (really) that we are talking fantasy here.....however, an interesting engineering problem. Bridging - impossible. Tunneling ie actually digging - not feasible on expense grounds. But a sunken tunnel ie tunnel sections pre-constructed, lowered into position and joined. :( Alright, I'll go and take some more medication.

Archived