Manx Radio

cheesemonster2005

* This time try not to say something stupid or libellous *

The last thread was locked because someone overstepped the mark. The original discussion was about why Manx Radio doesn't cover all news items, why it covers some news items at weekends rather than when they occur and also why their news website isn't updated at weekends.

I've always found MR to be quite informative but usually prefer IOM Newspapers as being the better of a bad bunch of apples. BBC News seem to have the better Manx stories now. What's the best place online to find Manx news?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder why MR dont report the current news, in the UK today its been reported that a 16 year old girl has been found dead in Onchan, A Manx woman found drowned in Merseyside, 42 year old man dies after a fall in a Douglas pub. none of the items on MRs site but it does report on *a lady who has crashed her 4x4 on a farm track in Greeba

*Edit ref PM - Obs

I wonder why MR dont report the current news, in the UK today its been reported that a 16 year old girl has been found dead in Onchan, A Manx woman found drowned in Merseyside, 42 year old man dies after a fall in a Douglas pub. none of the items on MRs site but it does report on *a lady who has crashed her 4x4 on a farm track in Greeba

Surely these things require reporting - if the details are sensitive then names can be withheld. Why doesn't MR or IOM Crappapers report them?

No... all charities set out to profit.

If they then distribute those funds in a charitable way... well that's the nature of the business isn't it?

All businesses have a priority of making £££££'s - even charities.

Er only one and thats Hospice :angry:

I think you'll find that Age Concern, for example, does rather well out of it's own insurance policies etc.

*Edit ref PM - Obs

I dont know what radio station your listening to - or what time you crawled out of your pit - but MR carried the 17 year olds story (yes 17 - they got it right) this AM, the 42 yr olds fall, and the 4x4 incident. Maybe you should try the 'listen live' link on the web site rather than hitting the refresh button on your browser for the latest news. :geek:

Couple of general points worth mentioning.

Our primary job is to collate and disseminate news on the radio. We do this in as timely a fashion as we can, given that we don't staff the newsroom 24 hours a day, and we can only collate news if we're aware of it. We rely on media releases from the authorities, government and other organisations for day-to-day news, and we journos of course have our own contacts too.

But even if we hear a rumour or are aware of a potential story, we have to substantiate it before we can broadcast it - imagine the distress that would be caused by getting something like any of the stories mentioned above wrong. If we are provided with official facts, they are treated as such, unless we have solid proof that there is an error.

The most pressing thing then is to get the story and any reactions on-air. The website is updated regularly, but please remember our priority is the broadcast news.

If you're aware of a story that ISN'T being covered, chances are nobody thought to tell us about it!

So don't be shy, call the newsroom on 682630 and we'll get onto it! If there's not a human around, there's a machine that you can leave a message on with a contact number so one of us can call you back.

- Its no 'Broken News' style affair. Stu is quite right- its only correct reporting. I think the RADIO bit hits the argument on the head here.

No one wants to hear 'Breaking news - coming up - still to come - a news flash' and 'today somebody has reported something - we dont know to whom, or why - or indeed if its been confirmed has been reported, but the fact that it may have been reported, for whatever reason ....' etc etc etc.

If MR ever got that bad - then its time bash the broadcaster - or just tune in for a bloody good belly laugh.

*Edit ref PM - Obs

I dont know what radio station your listening to - or what time you crawled out of your pit - but MR carried the 17 year olds story (yes 17 - they got it right) this AM, the 42 yr olds fall, and the 4x4 incident. Maybe you should try the 'listen live' link on the web site rather than hitting the refresh button on your browser for the latest news. :geek:

Im glad you said this AM, UK new had it yesterday, Border TV and radio Mersey, so smoke that chum. As you said it good to get the facts first, I did Yesterday

Archived