Manx Radio

cheesemonster2005

what ever happened to andy wint, is he swimming with the fishes ? :P

http://www.vipradio.net/

VIP Radio will be launching on air at end of JANUARY 2006. You will hear test transmissions all day, every day right here by listening on-line. In MARCH 2006 the station comes to SKY Digital and will be heard across the UK and parts of Europe. VIP Radio is considering DAB, FREEVIEW and other platforms during 06.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Become a "hot" one again this one!!!!

There's not been a hell of a lot in the past few days posts actually referring to Manx Radio, but there's been plenty of chaff.

Manx Radio IMHO, is not perfect, but it is miles ahead of any of the other local stations when it comes to reporting news and local culture.

When the opportunity arises I listen daily to catch the news, and mostly listen for this reason, although I do often enjoy some of the other programmes.

Can't say I've ever been a fan of Susie Richardson, but I can say that Dan Davies is doing a marvellous job.

Maybe I'm in a minority here, but for much of the time I listen to Radio 4, the rest of the time I'l tune in to MR for the news & some local stuff - I've listened to the other local stations and their idea of presenting news, or local cultural content is far beyond a joke, I presume that the people who listen to the "other" stations do so just because of their "musical" content???

IMHO Manx Radio is still at least a billion miles ahead of the other local stations in terms of supplying a "community service" - and I'm happier having some of my taxes funding this than some of the other hair brained schemes the govt is totally wasting our money on.

Maybe I'm in a minority here, but for much of the time I listen to Radio 4, the rest of the time I'l tune in to MR for the news & some local stuff - I've listened to the other local stations and their idea of presenting news, or local cultural content is far beyond a joke, I presume that the people who listen to the "other" stations do so just because of their "musical" content???

You mean 3fm listeners actually want to listen to Starship twice a day everyday?

- LOL Declan - totally with you on this one.

That's probably why I said I maybe in a minority???

Anyway, I thought they played Starship 4 or 5 times a day????

Now when they were Jeffereson "whatever they were" they had some great tunes, I could almost even listen to "White Rabbit" maybe once or twice a week... - Classic tune.

Not more than a couple of times a day though - that's getting to be as bad as Radio 1 (why I don't listen to this anymore).

Am I just being an "old - bugger" or did Radio 1 have some great tunes many moons ago (John Peel/AndyKershaw etc?).

Also listen to the Beeb World Service quite a bit, FM early hours of the morning, on SW / internet much of the rest of the time, paticularly remember a fantastic prog from Andy Kershaw on World / Polynesian music in the Pacific when I was "stranded" on Tonga trying to catch up with a cruise ship over dial-up modem, & it cost me a fortune - truly amazing programme.

No Radio 1 has always been shit during the day. Only Mark and Lard have ever really broken away from that mould.

Nighttime has always been a bit different, and it still is the One Music strand that took over Peel's slot often has excellent music in it.

6 Music is really good as well, but not readily available in offices.

Become a "hot" one again this one!!!!

There's not been a hell of a lot in the past few days posts actually referring to Manx Radio, but there's been plenty of chaff.

Manx Radio IMHO, is not perfect, but it is miles ahead of any of the other local stations when it comes to reporting news and local culture.

When the opportunity arises I listen daily to catch the news, and mostly listen for this reason, although I do often enjoy some of the other programmes.

Can't say I've ever been a fan of Susie Richardson, but I can say that Dan Davies is doing a marvellous job.

IMHO Manx Radio is still at least a billion miles ahead of the other local stations in terms of supplying a "community service" - and I'm happier having some of my taxes funding this than some of the other hair brained schemes the govt is totally wasting our money on.

An excellent post. And I strongly believe that it represents the majority opinion of listeners.

If all you want is music - buy some Cds - why bother listening to radio stations that simply churn the stuff out.

Manx Radio - even with all of it's faults - is an excellent local station and, for the most part, does a first-class job.

I think there are many complainants on here who are judging it by it's website, ignoring the fact that it is a radio station with a supplementary website.

I agree that it could be improved - but there's not very much in this world that can't be.

This was achieved despite the fact we were having a News team Christmas bash

That is soooo funny. Tim, you are sport why did the rest of the guys say in the boozer?

BTW just how many staff and freelance news people does Manx Radio have, Mr Peters did not give an answer!

Aren't you involved with Energy or 3FM, Sam? Is that why you want to know?

1. Not as many as you seem to think

2. Not enough

3. It's probably a commercial confidence

4. Most people in the newsroom do additional programmes or have additional responsibilities too

5. I think everyone is listed on the website

He did a recorded 60s show on Saturday mornings until quite recently, presumably recorded from off the Island.

But for someone who was so prominently on Manx Radio, Andy just seemed to disappear, there was no warning or anything.

Maybe he outgrew the station?

Just a couple of follow-ups:-

Sam - yes, in the main I do sport. News of the fire incident came though while I was doing Friday Sport. Beth Espey was on the late shift when I came off air at 6.30pm and, recognising it was a major incident, I said I'd go down to find out as much as I could and report in to the 7 o'clock news. The Fire chief said he may have more info at 7.30pm so I went to the Railway - our news team gathering was at 7.30pm at Coasters. I returned at 7.30pm when it was confirmed a man had died in the fire. I then contacted Beth at the Station and filed a report for our later bulletins. Beth was therefore very late for our gathering. However, the story had been taken as far as it could be on Friday evening.

Crumlin - you did tell me the name of the person. I did not report it as Manx radio always awaits Police confirmation of the names of deceased so family have been informed properly...not by listening to the radio.

CCM - fair point, I found out about the story on a Tuesday. I work Saturday which is always busy, am in most Sundays for some time....but Monday is firmly my day off. On that Tuesday, in fairness, I became aware other media had picked up on the story and good for them. The point is we have pushed and developed the story since rather than just letting things happen.

He did a recorded 60s show on Saturday mornings until quite recently, presumably recorded from off the Island.

But for someone who was so prominently on Manx Radio, Andy just seemed to disappear, there was no warning or anything.

Maybe he outgrew the station?

As above. He's gone to http://www.vipradio.net/ - competing for the listener with Big L, Caroline and the podcasters.

Archived