Passenger Shot On Florida Airplane

cheesemonster2005

The passenger wasn't killed and has been arrested after he claimed to have a bomb. Details still seem sketchy but he was shot by an Air Marshall.

BBC News

Whilst, in this case, the use of Air Marshalls seems to have worked, are there risks involved. Could innocent passengers be shot or could the presence of an air marshall be exploited by terrorists (i.e. applying to become an air marshall)?

The passenger wasn't killed and has been arrested after he claimed to have a bomb. Details still seem sketchy but he was shot by an Air Marshall.

BBC News

Whilst, in this case, the use of Air Marshalls seems to have worked, are there risks involved. Could innocent passengers be shot or could the presence of an air marshall be exploited by terrorists (i.e. applying to become an air marshall)?

CBS News has just confirmed that the passenger was killed.

Dead he is indeed - thanks to trigger happy US Air Marshals..

Rigoberto Alpizar, a 44-year-old US citizen, was killed in the air bridge after running out of the plane pursued by marshals who had broken their cover.

No bomb was found on Mr Alpizar whose wife had tried to explain he had a mental illness, one witness said. BBC

Cue "collateral damage" and "Can't take any risks" comments...

Dead he is indeed - thanks to trigger happy US Air Marshals..

Rigoberto Alpizar, a 44-year-old US citizen, was killed in the air bridge after running out of the plane pursued by marshals who had broken their cover.

No bomb was found on Mr Alpizar whose wife had tried to explain he had a mental illness, one witness said. BBC

Cue "collateral damage" and "Can't take any risks" comments...

How sad. Another innocent victim of the war on terror. I'm not sure what should have been done though in the situation. We need the full facts before we can say whether this was the best option of not. Thank god there aren't any air marshalls on British flights yet.

Uh, if you go onto a plane and claim to have a bomb, don't be surprised if people take you seriously.

I have no sympathy for him. mental illness or no.

He was reaching into his bag, was non-compliant and claimed to have a bomb. Good work on ridding the world of yet another nutter imo.

Uh, if you go onto a plane and claim to have a bomb, don't be surprised if people take you seriously.

I have no sympathy for him. mental illness or no.

He was reaching into his bag, was non-compliant and claimed to have a bomb. Good work on ridding the world of yet another nutter imo.

Very harsh. If the guy was mentally deficient, he probably didn't know that his performance would be taken seriously. To be honest, I can't see that there was really much option to the action taken, but the thought that it was

Good work on ridding the world of yet another nutter
is unnecessary and the kind of thing we have come expect from rulers of totalitarian states.

*If* all of that is true (remember the Brazillian electrician who was "running" and wore a "puffy" jacket), then they had no choice really. It's only a matter of time before a suicide bomber strikes in the states. Though I doubt he'll announce "I've got a bomb" before detonating it.

Anyone remember the drunk British girl who was gaoled in the States for making the same claim, then moaned about it in the media?

*If* all of that is true (remember the Brazillian electrician who was "running" and wore a "puffy" jacket), then they had no choice really.

It also had a dramatic effect on the work permit applications, Brazillian tradesmen applications were more than tripled the day after that happened!

Stav.

Archived