Disasterous News

captain jiggyflaps

Sark Government

Tiny and feudal, Sark is a law unto itself. Self-governing and self-sufficient it has a 400-year-old constitution. This is currently under review by a special island committee to see if any changes are needed etc etc.

But no mention of the "Sark Lark" which I find quite extraodinary. Come on, it's not often that you find a local tax haven with dodgier financial regulations than the IOM. Get with the program.....

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The seneschal was not connected with the Manx judiciary but was an appointee of the Duke of Atholl to guard his interests (property rents etc) after the revestment of 1765 which saw the regalities sold to the British crown - the rest of the Duke's interests were bought out for some £400,000 in 1828 - Lord's rent etc was finally abolished in 1911.

Fancy street is a name that certainly was recorded by 1818 but no one is sure of its derivation - certainly by the late 19th C it was known as one of the slums of Douglas - Slack suggested possibly from Francis street but thought it unlikely as no obvious property owning person of that surname - most streets in old Douglas were named either from a key building in them, the name of the builder or for the newer ones to curry favour, usually with the Duke.

Sark is apparently being forced to modernise by the Barclay brothers who bought an adjacent isle and refuse to see why they should pay feudal dues.

suspect not - there are (or were) streets named after a public house (the now demolished Chester st is one) but no ph of that name recorded - nor does it seem to correspond to a Manx name - The street came out into Lord Street (not quite the same as today's Lord st) opposite a significant pub the King's arms - possibly this had a fancy door which would have been visible from the other end of the short street.

Slack's other suggestion was to do with houses of ill-repute but no reports of such I'm aware of - there were a couple but at thornhill

doesn't the frequency of the vibrations at the White Hoe IRIS pumping station reverberate back along the pipeline into Douglas? and isn't it those vibrations which are causing the surrounding earth to fluidise allowing for buildings near the pipeline to sink and settle as though they were being affected by subsidence? - have you driven along North Quay recently and noticed how uneven the road-surface is ? they even had to re-do that part nearest the lifting bridge...like with sound waves..vibrations can be at a frequency humans don't feel but that doesn't mean to say they aren't causing damage to property..glad I don't live right opposite the White Hoe pumping station or along the route of the IRIS pipeline..

doesn't the frequency of the vibrations at the White Hoe IRIS pumping station reverberate back along the pipeline into Douglas? and isn't it those vibrations which are causing the surrounding earth to fluidise allowing for buildings near the pipeline to sink and settle as though they were being affected by subsidence? - have you driven along North Quay recently and noticed how uneven the road-surface is ? they even had to re-do that part nearest the lifting bridge...like with sound waves..vibrations can be at a frequency humans don't feel but that doesn't mean to say they aren't causing damage to property..glad I don't live right opposite the White Hoe pumping station or along the route of the IRIS pipeline..

:lol:

I was of course taking the piss!

ah yes but as i said elsewhere recently I wouldn't want to poo poo the poo poo......particularly as its mostly that and piss in the pipeline and if it ruptures whose responsible...just look at what's happened recently down south under the railway line...if it erupts along North Quay as a bus is going over it and outside the British then there will be one hell of a stink...and I suspect the release of a huge volume of methane would be explosive....

doesn't the frequency of the vibrations at the White Hoe IRIS pumping station reverberate back along the pipeline into Douglas? and isn't it those vibrations which are causing the surrounding earth to fluidise allowing for buildings near the pipeline to sink and settle as though they were being affected by subsidence?

Apparently a similar situation exists in Peel due to overuse of some devices called 'Rampant Rabbits.'

Archived