Stanley Williams

Amadeus

So, the local poiticians have agreed to rename the mentioned "Arnold Schwarzenegger Football Stadium", which is situated in Austria's second-biggest city, and will now give it the name of the highest paying sponsor instead..

Rightly so, me thinks... His decision was pretty much against the general opinion towards the death penalty in Austria, and probably most of Europe.

Some people were calling for his Austrian citizenship to be revoked (he currently has both, the Austrian and the US one), but the plans were quickly smashed - give it a few more executions, and even that will be a possibility...

When I first read about this issue last week some were considering renaming it after Stanley Williams.

When I first read about this issue last week some were considering renaming it after Stanley Williams.

That idea was quickly dismissed - I also think it would have been a little over the top...

Now, though, it seems as if a weak attack is not always the best defense:

Schwarzenegger Tells Hometown to Take His Name Off Stadium

SACRAMENTO — With officials in his Austrian homeland poised to strip his name from the local soccer stadium, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger sought to beat them to it Monday, sending an indignant letter demanding that his name be removed by year's end....

.....Schwarzenegger also wrote that he was revoking his permission for Graz to use his name in any advertising campaigns that promote the city, located 10 minutes from his hometown village of Thal.

Mentioning a separate proposal to rescind the award of a "ring of honor" that was given to him in 1999, Schwarzenegger said in the letter that he does not want the ring any more and had sent it back.

"Since … the official Graz appears to no longer accept me as one of their own, this ring has lost its meaning and value to me," Schwarzenegger wrote. "It is already in the mail."

He's really acting like a machine now - maybe it wasn't just make-up after all....

Archived